Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Stu_Warn
Follower
Follower

I have a VMB4500 base with 4 Pro2 cameras. I use a USB drive on the base for local storage.The base is connected to my home Mesh WiFi network. The range of the Arlo base does not reach an area I would like monitored but my Mesh WiFi network does.

If I add 1 or 2 Essential cameras direct-to the Mesh WiFi (not the Arlo's WiFi) , would my base be able to link to them? Would I be able to store video onto my USB drive?

Or do the cameras have to connect using the Arlo's WiFi for the base to see them?

I know I could just get a network extender for the base but I am trying to avoid that.

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Stu_Warn wrote:

Or do the cameras have to connect using the Arlo's WiFi for the base to see them?

The cameras have to connect using Arlo's WiFi.

MalBull
Aspirant
Aspirant

My understanding is that the Pro cameras don't have "traditional" wifi but use radio signals between base and camera.  I say this because my Pro2 camera works where I have no WIFI signal (which was unexpected but fantastic).  Therefore StephenB is right - these cameras must talk directly to the base and can't piggy back on you home WiFi.  Having said that I think that the Essential 2 cameras (only?) have WiFi and therefore do use your Home Wifi.  This would mean that when (/ if) they release a firmware update allowing the Essential 2 camera to talk directly to a base  station then you could use an Essential 2 camera over home Wifi to talk to the base station.  Only eta is that firmware is due 2024 some time.  Hope this makes sense / helps.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MalBull wrote:

Having said that I think that the Essential 2 cameras (only?) have WiFi and therefore do use your Home Wifi.  This would mean that when (/ if) they release a firmware update allowing the Essential 2 camera to talk directly to a base  station then you could use an Essential 2 camera over home Wifi to talk to the base station.  

There are other Arlo cameras that can connect to either your home wifi or your base - the original Essential modes, Pro 3 Floodlight, Pro 4, and Pro 5.   But none of those work the way you are thinking.  The cameras only connect to a base when they are using the closed wifi network created by the base.   So you only get local recordings when the cameras are using the base wifi.

FWIW, I have suggested that Arlo allow these cameras to connect to the base over the home wifi, as that would let people use their mesh wifi to full advantage, while still getting local storage.  So I do hope they implement that idea at some point.  But I don't expect it when they add base support to the Gen 2 cameras.

@MalBull wrote:

My understanding is that the Pro cameras don't have "traditional" wifi but use radio signals between base and camera. 

The bases do create a traditional 802.11 wifi network - you can see the network names in your PC and phone.  I think there are setting changes intended to increase battery life a bit.  And of course it is closed, so only cameras can connect to it.

MalBull
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks - that all makes sense - I had thought that wifi ssid was due to another product but that makes sense.