Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Essential Model VMC2040 stopped recording

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
David2971
Follower
Follower

I have two of these cameras. They were working fine till two days ago and both of them just stopped recording. They will let me know in the app that there was movement, but shows there is no recording. I have removed the devises and resynced them and reset the base but still no recording. Any idea what happened and how do I fix it?

9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Sounds like the trial subscription expired. These cameras need a sub for cloud recordings - check your subscription status.

SilverBrick
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok, but I have the same issue with a SmartHub. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The hub has no bearing unless you set it up for local recordings. If so, then accessing the the local recordings varies according to whether you've been using Library to view videos or Feed. For the former, there should be a selection at the top of the library to select cloud or local recordings. For Feed, use Settings, Home, Devices, your hub, Storage Settings to view them.

SilverBrick
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well that was just word salad.  Why would me not having a subscription but a smart hub for local (not cloud) storage not allow me to record to my local storage (not could) on demand?  There is zero reason to deactivate this feature.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If you don't read the words and try to understand we can't help. In any event, local recording hasn't been disabled regardless of subscription status.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@SilverBrick wrote:

Well that was just word salad.  Why would me not having a subscription but a smart hub for local (not cloud) storage not allow me to record to my local storage (not could) on demand?  There is zero reason to deactivate this feature.

You need a subscription for cloud storage.  You don't need one to store locally or (if you have the correct base) access local storage.  

During the trial subscription, you are seeing the cloud recordings in the app.  Many folks assume that they are seeing local ones, but that is not the case unless you explicitly set up direct access to local storage.

There are a lot of limitations with direct access to local storage.  

1. The camera needs to paired with a VMB4540 or VMB5000 smarthub (other models don't support direct access)
  2. Local recordings can only be accessed from the app (not the browser)
  3. Local recordings can only be accessed from the primary account (not "friend" accounts).
  4. No thumbnails, all videos need to be downloaded to the phone to view.
  5. No ability to make manual recordings or snapshots
  6. Remote access to recordings requires router setting changes that many find difficult (and which don't work with some internet service providers).

The other way to see local recordings is to eject the storage device (USB drive or microSD card) via the app, and then connect it to a PC.

SilverBrick
Aspirant
Aspirant

So, you accuse me of not understanding, and yet not a single accurate answer or acknowledgement of the issue at hand. 

SilverBrick
Aspirant
Aspirant

And that is an answer to "Why is on demand recording locked behind a subscription even when I have a Smart Hub and local recording activated?"

Where was that clearly states at the point of purchase? 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@SilverBrick wrote:

And that is an answer to "Why is on demand recording locked behind a subscription even when I have a Smart Hub and local recording activated?"

Neither @jguerdat nor I work for Arlo and we do not represent them in any way.  This is a user-to-user forum, and not Arlo support.  We are not responsible for their marketing literature or design decisions.  Personally I don't like their design of this particular feature - IMO it offers a poor user experience.

If you have a vmb4540 or vmb5000 smarthub with direct access to local recording enabled, then you should be able to see the local recordings in the app.

If you want help doing that, we'd need some more information - 

1. confirmation that you do have that kit, and that direct access to local storage is configured
  2. confirmation that the cameras are paired with the smarthub, and not connected to local wifi
  3. whether you see "Library" at the bottom of the app page or "Feed"

The steps needed to access the recordings depends on answer to (3).

You might also want to eject the storage, connect it to a PC, and confirm that the recordings are in fact there.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation