Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

qr code will not scan on Essential camera light

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
KevinMcF
Follower
Follower
Any recommendation on how to get the Essential spotlight camera to scan the QR code. I have been trying for over an hour at different distances, angles, screen brightness, etc... I even tried printing the QR code bigger on paper with no luck. I have taken it into several different rooms, turned lights on, light off, brighter light, lower light and still nothing.
HELP!!!!
Is this thing broke or am I missing something. I hold the button down for 2 seconds, blue light blinks, hold QR code in front of camera. 8 inches, 6 inches, move it closer, farther away, different light and NOTHING happens.
14 REPLIES 14
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

I use a digital camera to take photos of those codes and then put them on a PC.

Remember, it wants to see 2.4 GHz wifi. It shouldn't matter on an app

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

KevinMcF,

Take a look here for QR code scan troubleshooting tips: My Arlo device won’t scan the QR code when I am connecting it to a router; what do I do?

JamesC

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

Just noticed that this is the Essential spotlight camera. I was confusing it with the spotlight.

When trying to get the thing to work, I found that contrary to expectations, the code had to be quite some way from the camera.

You almost had to sneak up on it from the side.

How are you going this? App or PC?

I also had to reset my camera several times – press the "button" long enough to show the flashing amber light that comes after the blue light –  but that is an other matter.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Khoa
Initiate
Initiate
This is an example of Arlo poor engineering design, when scanning code, shouldn’t they show the user where the camera is zooming on? Like other vendors did. Because of this poor design, Arlo leaves customers in the dark, just like closing your eyes to search for treasure in the ocean bed. I am giving up! Arlo! Bye
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Khoa,

Take a look here for QR code scan troubleshooting tips: My Arlo device won’t scan the QR code when I am connecting it to a router; what do I do?

JamesC

Terlingua
Initiate
Initiate

I'm having the same problem, and I've tried everything on the Troubleshooting page ten times. I bought this camera to test out the Arlo products before buying a full suite of cameras to secure my business location. But if I can't even set up one basic camera, I've wasted my money. Cheap Chinese cameras are easier to set up, but don't offer the same features. Now I know why the ratings on the Google Play store are so low!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Terlingua,

Try setting up using a different device. Do you experience the same behavior?

JamesC

Terlingua
Initiate
Initiate

JamesC,

I attempted to setup using two different smartphones and a PC. Same issue every time!

Just an hour ago, I was finally able to get the QR code to scan. As far as I can tell, the only reason it wouldn't successfully scan the QR code is because my wifi network didn't have a password (I live in a very rural area with no neighbors). Once I added a password to the network, it finally succeeded. You should consider adding this to the troubleshooting information. Or better yet, allowing the camera to work on an open network.

Thanks,

Sara

ShassRay
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi did you get it to scan? Having the same problem for 3 hours
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ShassRay,

JamesC

Powerkillen
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi

I have the same problem have tried everything for over 3hrs what is this Camera! Have reset both mobile and camera several times i have created new Wifi 2,4ghtz with and without password and only connect mobile on it then tried to Scan/connect and nothing happens!! When i Scan the qr code with the camera it scans so no problem with lins or light....so enoying! They have to stop this product if they have so much problem with it!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Powerkillen,

If you hear a chime when scanning the QR code, that indicates it was successful. If the camera isn't found on the "Looking for your Arlo Camera" screen, this means there is an issue with how the SSID was entered (case sensitive, incorrect password) or possibly a signal issue between the router and the camera.

Check to make sure the SSID and password were entered exactly as they should be and bring the camera close to the router and try again.

JamesC

Powerkillen
Aspirant
Aspirant

Good day!

I cant hear a chime and I already have my Arlo Floodlight on the same Network and that worked without any problem.
I have also tried 4 different network 2,4 Ghtz with and without passwords and I have tried 2 different iPhones, 1 iPda mini and one HTC but still same problem. Ofcourse im close to the router so full connection.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Powerkillen,

If you've exhausted all of the troubleshooting posted in this thread, please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC