Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Byedvob
Aspirant
Aspirant

It would be helpful if you could provide an estimate of battery usage when night vision is activated. Some of us would choose to extend battery life by shutting the night vision during the day. During a chat with Arlo they said drain would vary based on how camera was used. But you could easily test this by simply keeping the camera isolated, but running night vision, and comparing the battery drain to when night vision was off. Like I said, this would be helpful, and it seems like a fairly easy thing for you to find out.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

First normally, the night vision does not come on during the day... There is an internal auto setting that when existing light falls below certain levels it will be triggered on.  Usu this is at dusk or later.

Second from my testing, the IR ( night vision ) leds draw as much as the camera when on, so if used during the night you are using 2x the power than during the day ( for same number of videos )

If you have external light, you can just turn off the IRs and extend you recording time. In rooms it can be like a 60w bulb or outside a flood light...

testing would need to be done( but it's easy ) as you can tell when the camera shifts to B/W, the LEDs for night vision are on.

Exp : when the Arlo baby runs in the day it will last about 6hrs but only 3 at night

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

First normally, the night vision does not come on during the day... There is an internal auto setting that when existing light falls below certain levels it will be triggered on.  Usu this is at dusk or later.

Second from my testing, the IR ( night vision ) leds draw as much as the camera when on, so if used during the night you are using 2x the power than during the day ( for same number of videos )

If you have external light, you can just turn off the IRs and extend you recording time. In rooms it can be like a 60w bulb or outside a flood light...

testing would need to be done( but it's easy ) as you can tell when the camera shifts to B/W, the LEDs for night vision are on.

Exp : when the Arlo baby runs in the day it will last about 6hrs but only 3 at night

Morse is faster than texting!
Byedvob
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks, that is all I need to know, that the night vision triggers on only when it’s dark.