Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
1scorpion
Guide
Guide
Why does my Essential spotlight loses connectivity to base station . It usually works reliably until I am in Away mode then it fails to connect.
9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Does it record while away?

1scorpion
Guide
Guide
No it doesn’t record because it will not connect.
I actually contacted Arlo Tech Support yesterday and they think that I had too many cameras connected to the Base Station. I had six rather than the five maximum. I removed one and then also did a factory reset on the Essential Spotlight camera. I reinstalled it like a new camera and it’s working again. I will check it while it’s in Away mode later. That’s when I usually have the connection problem. Keeping my fingers crossed!
1scorpion
Guide
Guide

My two Arlo Essential Spotlight Cameras loses connectivity randomly and frequently since I have installed them. I thought the issue with my first one was resolved so I purchased a second one. I’m really regretting replacing my Arlo Pro 2 cameras with these. I liked the color night vision but not at the expense of unreliability. I fear that when my Essentials are offline, someone will commit a crime on my property and it won’t be captured on video. I feel the Essential Spotlight Cameras are a product failure and hope the there is a fix for them.

Just to be clear… Only my two Arlo Essential Spotlight Cameras have this connectivity failures not my Pro and Pro 2 cameras. They are all connected to the same base station and in the same environment.  I have contacted customer support but they fail to understand this.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

1scorpion,

What does the signal strength icon show for the essential cameras? How far from your base station/router are they?

JamesC

1scorpion
Guide
Guide
On both cameras, the signal strength is at full bars. One camera is about 20’ and the other 10’ from the base station (VMB4000r3).
1scorpion
Guide
Guide
In my troubleshooting process I swapped out the base station with the same model (VMB4000) to see if my original base station was beginning to fail. During the setup process I rebooted my router so I have a fresh install. Everything was working great for a day and I thought I resolved my issue.
Then this morning both my Essential Spotlight Cameras froze up again and then one by one, they went offline. Again I was deeply frustrated. I stared at my camera and started to look around then I noticed that my neighbors on both sides of me also have Arlo cameras.
Is it possible that I have a WiFi conflict with one or both of them?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Interference is certainly possible. The distance away from each system counts, of course. How are your neighbors' cameras connected - WiFi or to a hub? Use a WiFi analyzer app on your phone to find what channels are being used for all nearby routers/systems - that may provide a clue. You can try changing the router channel (which affects nearby Arlo base stations) or move the base away from your router to see how that affects anything.

1scorpion
Guide
Guide

jguerdat, thanks for your response! Could you recommend a good WiFi Analyzer for iOS that can provide what channels are in use. I have tried "Fing" and Network Analyzer (by Techet). Neither one displays channel usage.

Currently my base station is about 6' from my router. Could being that close cause interference?

1scorpion
Guide
Guide
Now I’m getting a red/orange circle with a white triangle, lightning bolt in the center. Only on both of my Essential Spotlight Cameras. My Pro 2’s are still operating flawlessly.