Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Weird, loud "screechy" noize sometimes on video recordings, and during live view.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
KDCline
Guide
Guide

Hi all,

On one of the Essential Spotlight cameras that I just purchased, and installed three days ago, several times when I was playing back the video, or viewing "live" there has been very loud, "screechy" noise at some point in the recording. So far this has happened three times. Once when the camera detected motion and recorded an event, and twice more when I turned the camera on to live view. The noise starts at seemingly random times, and lasts about five seconds or so. I tried to attach a recording showing an example, but this forum software won't let me link directly to my video. You can view the recording on Flickr, by following this link.

The screeching starts at about 15 seconds into the recording. I have not been able to reproduce this when I have been near the camera, so I don't know at this point if the camera is actually making an audible screeching noise, or if this noise is somehow produced electronically during the processing/transmission of the video/audio signal.

Anyone else have this (or similar) experience?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KDCline
Guide
Guide

This is just a little update about my troubleshooting the problem with the camera. I got it wrong. The screeching has nothing to do with the LED coming on. I was able to reproduce the problem with the LED light turned off. I have turned off the speaker and the microphone, and the screeching hasn't happened since. But I am not going to assume that they are the culprit. I have already chewed through enough battery power trying to figure this out. I will just return the camera to Arlo and start again with another camera.

Thanks to everyone who has helped with this.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I think that's a hardware problem. Swap at the store or use the Contact Support link at the bottom here.

KDCline
Guide
Guide

Good morning,

Thanks for your reply. By "swap" at the store do you mean that I should just buy another camera and return the first one for credit? I don't see any mechanism in the online storefront for returns or "swaps." Perhaps I am missing it?

Thanks again.

dcfox1
Master
Master

Most places online allow for a return/exchange within their return window usually 30 days. Not sure where you purchased yours but you can usually just exchange it or they will give you a refund. Either way you can buy another one with the refund. Some like Arlo if you bought directly from them require a RMA so you have to call them, not sure if they have a link on you receipt if you did buy from their website. I Use Amazon or Best Buy for most electronics and they have easy online returns/exchanges. 

dcfox1
Master
Master

Just to add to my post even if you are past your 30 day return Arlo has a one year warranty if bought through an authorized dealer's site. 

KDCline
Guide
Guide

Hi,

Thanks for your reply/advice. I purchased my cameras directly from Arlo.com, so I hope that I won't have any trouble returning the camera. I tried to contact support through the support chat this morning and after an initial screener asking for my email address, phone number, and product serial number, I was told that I would be transferred to the appropriate department for the Essential Spotlight cameras. After about 15 minutes of waiting as the 1st person in the queue, a message said that there was nobody available at that time and the chat was ended. I suppose that I will have to wait until a weekday to reach a person in support to find out how to return the camera. In the meantime, and in order to save myself downtime, I have ordered another Essential Spotlight Camera from Arlo.com, and will return the defective camera after the new one arrives.

Just FYI, I did a bit of experimenting, and the screeching noise is repeatable, and only happens when the LED spotlight comes on. For instance, if I start the live view, but do not turn on the LED, no screech, but if I start the live view, and then turn on the LED using the "flashlight" control, shortly after the LED comes on, the screech happens. Further, it only happens if the LED hasn't been activated in a while. If I do the same thing twice in a short period of time (live view, turn on LED manually, etc.), it will screech the first time, but no screech in subsequent tests. But then if I wait a half hour or so, the screech is repeatable.

Thanks again for the help, and I will update this thread when I am able to contact Support and get resolution.

dcfox1
Master
Master

Since you did it that way make sure you get a RMA approval from Arlo within your 30 day return window. 

KDCline
Guide
Guide

Ok, will do. I have had some trouble in the past when buying electronics from Amazon, or other third parties, so I always try to buy directly from the service provider if I can. I realize that this is not always the best option, but I am a creature of habit.

Thanks again for the help, and I will update this thread when I get this resolved.

KDCline
Guide
Guide

This is just a little update about my troubleshooting the problem with the camera. I got it wrong. The screeching has nothing to do with the LED coming on. I was able to reproduce the problem with the LED light turned off. I have turned off the speaker and the microphone, and the screeching hasn't happened since. But I am not going to assume that they are the culprit. I have already chewed through enough battery power trying to figure this out. I will just return the camera to Arlo and start again with another camera.

Thanks to everyone who has helped with this.