Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Bc1550
Aspirant
Aspirant
We just purchased an Arlo Essential spotlight camera and noticed that at night, the live video is very pixelated and the image pulsates. I tried adjusting the settings and nothing makes a difference in the picture. It’s also very dark, even with the spotlight. Any suggestions? Thought about returning if I can’t get a clear image at night.
5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The spotlight on the Essential isn't the brightest (~100 lux) - it's really to help you get color at night. If you want bright, use one of the separate lights (400 lux) from Arlo or the Pro 3 floodlight (2000-3000 lux, depending on whether it's plugged in).

As for the image quality, is it only at night? That's a bit odd unless some wireless device that only operates at night is causing interference. Is this connected to your WiFi or a base/hub?

Bc1550
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes it’s only at night. It’s connected to our WiFi. I don’t know of anything that only runs at night. Typically during the day is when we have more WiFi activity with TV, computers and my kids playing games. Do we need additional lighting on to get a clearer picture or a picture at all? I don’t want to have spotlights on all the time. That’s why we bought the spotlight camera
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Bc1550,

Could you post a screenshot of what you're experiencing so we have a better idea if the behavior is expected or not?

JamesC

Bc1550
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have a video I would like to add but it won’t let me attach it. Here is a photo of what the camera looks like.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can use the Share selection for a video in your library and post the link here (the link is only good for 24 hours).

DO you have another camera to swap around with to see if it's the camera or location? If not, swapping at the store would be a quick way to test or buy a second camera (with a return privilege) for testing. You can also move the camera closer to your router to see if that makes a difference.