Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
BRLSOL
Follower
Follower

We have begun to install these cameras and find that they tend to be hard to charge. My two main questions at this point are: How much current is needed to trigger charging? Is there a firmware restriction to temperature range before they can be charged? It seems that the unit will not charge at 18 degrees F.

3 REPLIES 3
dcfox1
Master
Master

I don't know the details as some has said but they do not charge below 32F to protect the battery. The cam will still work just not charge. If I read that wrong someone correct me as do not have any cams connected to AC. I have one on solar panel and assume that is the same but have not been through a winter with that yet.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@dcfox1 , correct. Li-ion batteries shouldn't be charged when below freezing - it's a battery thang.

McCranium
Tutor
Tutor
I was just about to post the same thing. I recently tried charging at 32°F/0°C and while the battery would detect that I was trying to charge it would stop charging almost immediately. I figured it was related to the temperature and affecting the battery. Bringing the camera inside and letting it warm up resolved the issue.

Was hoping for a better solution for cold Canadian winters but may just change the profile the cam uses during winter to minimize the trips out back to grab the camera. I use the cam mainly to ensure my doggo is not getting into trouble. 😉