Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Confusion about 2.4g/5g wifi for outdoor wireless cameras... which ones, etc...

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Theleb_Kaarna
Follower
Follower

Greetings! In a nutshell, I'm ultimately wanting to install 4 outdoor wireless cameras AND be able to operate my smartphone in 5g once installation is complete. I own a 2.4g/5g router.

So, a few questions:

1. Arlo Essential: I understand you have to set-up the Essential to link direct to your Wifi (no Base Station or Smart Hub) by setting your phone to 2.4g. Once everything's set-up, can you switch your phone back to 5g, with app functionality/camera monitoring all working ok?

2. If "No" to question #1 (the Essential), are there cameras that you CAN do this with? If "Yes", which ones specifically? Maybe having a Base Station or Smart Hub is key?

Sorry if noobish, just not clear anywhere I've seen. Thanks in advance 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You don't HAVE to use your WiFi for the Essential cameras - you can use a base or hub. However, if you want to use WiFi, no problem. Depending on the app and camera (I haven't figured out if it's constant) I've been able to keep my phone on the 5GHz band and still connect devices to the 2.4GHz band. To do this the app has to allow you to edit the SSID to the one you want. If it autofills with your current SSID and doesn't allow you to edit it, you'll have to change your phone to 2.4GHz, set things up and then you can revert to the 5GHz connection. It's only the setup process where this is an issue.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You don't HAVE to use your WiFi for the Essential cameras - you can use a base or hub. However, if you want to use WiFi, no problem. Depending on the app and camera (I haven't figured out if it's constant) I've been able to keep my phone on the 5GHz band and still connect devices to the 2.4GHz band. To do this the app has to allow you to edit the SSID to the one you want. If it autofills with your current SSID and doesn't allow you to edit it, you'll have to change your phone to 2.4GHz, set things up and then you can revert to the 5GHz connection. It's only the setup process where this is an issue.

darrelljb
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hello

Yes you can still view and control the Essential Camera (setup on 2.4g wifi) with your phone that is on 5g wifi. My phone automatically connects to 5g wifi and I have no issues with using the camera.