Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
AngusDalemon
Follower
Follower

I have a hub, one Arlo pro 1 and one brand new Arlo essential.

I was hoping that the essential would also upload the movies to the library for 7 days even without a subsription but I guess I was wrong. Only the pro camera upload the movies in my installation.

And I was a foul because I cancelled the free 3 month subscription that came with the essential.

Can someone confirm that the essential camera (with hub) dont upload movies for 7 days in the same way as the pro camera does. I still have some hope that there is something with the settings.

The local storage work the same way for both cameras but it is not very convenient to check the USB memory.

I think the picture quality is better on the essential camera than Arlo Pro 1

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

As has been shown in the documentation as well as a million posts here, any camera newer than the Pro 2 requires a subscription for cloud recordings. You can set up local recordings on your base/hub and use the app to view the recordings. However, depending on the base/hub you may need to safely eject the drive to view on a computer. The appp will only allow direct access to the VMB4540 and 5000 hubs. The 4000 and 4500 bases require ejecting the drive.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

As has been shown in the documentation as well as a million posts here, any camera newer than the Pro 2 requires a subscription for cloud recordings. You can set up local recordings on your base/hub and use the app to view the recordings. However, depending on the base/hub you may need to safely eject the drive to view on a computer. The appp will only allow direct access to the VMB4540 and 5000 hubs. The 4000 and 4500 bases require ejecting the drive.

black_widow
Initiate
Initiate

After 30 day trial period, the Arlo Essential Spotlight Camera requires a paid subscription in order to record to library or cloud. Without a paid plan, motion will be detected with device, but will not be recorded to library on phone. My existing Arlo Pro system doesn't not require a paid subscription to record 7 days to library. This will now be shelved in it's box as I found another Arlo Pro to add to our system. The free 7 day recording is the biggest feature that attracted us to Arlo cameras and set them apart from their competitor's.