Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
klipschman70
Tutor
Tutor

My Arlo essential camera is connected to the VMB4000 together with few other Arlo camera (including, Arlo pro as well as the older Arlo standard camera). All cameras with the exception of the Arlo essential camera will record video to the USB stick attached to the VMB4000 when triggered.

Anybody could shed any light on what is going on with the Arlo essential camera?

13 REPLIES 13
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Anything going through the base should be recording locally. Try rebooting the base and removing and resyncing the camera. This assumes, of course, that you're getting cloud recordings from the camera.

klipschman70
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the reply. What is the difference between Arlo Essential and my other Arlo (Pro, standard) ? As I mentioned my other cameras record correctly to the USB stick attached to the base. I do not continue the smart plan on the Essential camera. Neither of my other cameras has subscription plan either.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

klipschman70,

How are you determining that the Arlo Essential camera is not recording to the USB? When you detach the USB stick and view from a PC are the recordings not there?

JamesC

dcfox1
Master
Master

Just to add to jguerdat reply is your Essential connected to the base, not your wifi?  If connected to wifi it would need a subscription. It should still record to base if connected to that. 

Edit: @JamesC we were typing at the same time again hehe. 

klipschman70
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for all the responses again

My Arlo Essential like my 4 others older Arlo cameras are connected to the base via wifi. I always get notification if one of the camera got triggered and set to record automatically to the USB stick. Only the Essential gives me notification but it does not record. I cannot find any recording in the library.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You didn't answer the question about safely ejecting the drive for viewing on a computer. If you do that, you can verify that the Essential camera isn't recording?

klipschman70
Tutor
Tutor

Hi Jguerdat

You are correct, i found the recording on the USB stick when I use my PC to view it. However for some reasons the recordings are not in the library. Could you suggest how to sync the recording with the Arlo library content?

Thanks again!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

ANy camera newer than the Pro 2, including the Essentials, require a subscription for cloud recording. I'd guess that the trial has run out so check Settings, Subscription.

samspadefan
Initiate
Initiate

I have the same issue as the OP and if I'm reading this correctly (along with other posts) - my Essential should be recording locally to the USB attached to my VMB4000, but to see them I need to remove the USB and view on a PC....and I cannot review the recordings via the app like I can with my Pro2 attached to the same base station?

That comes across as either a really bad design in terms of backwards compatibility, or a blatant decision meant to drive subscription fees.  Had this been better publicized when released, I never would have bought the Essential.  My decision to go with the Arlo system was based on the ability to locally record and still use the app.  Looks like it's time to either junk the Essential and get another Pro2, or look for a different system.

dcfox1
Master
Master

@samspadefan wrote:

I have the same issue as the OP and if I'm reading this correctly (along with other posts) - my Essential should be recording locally to the USB attached to my VMB4000, but to see them I need to remove the USB and view on a PC....and I cannot review the recordings via the app like I can with my Pro2 attached to the same base station?

That comes across as either a really bad design in terms of backwards compatibility, or a blatant decision meant to drive subscription fees.  Had this been better publicized when released, I never would have bought the Essential.  My decision to go with the Arlo system was based on the ability to locally record and still use the app.  Looks like it's time to either junk the Essential and get another Pro2, or look for a different system.

You never could see local USB recording via the app on the VMB400. Only the 4540 and 5000. You were seeing the free 7 day cloud recordings via app. On Essential cams you need a subscription for cloud recordings if you want that after your trial expires as stated in this thread.

samspadefan
Initiate
Initiate

Yes - I understand that I was not viewing local recording because of the trial subscription (never suggested otherwise).

Doesn't change my point that there is no valid reason I know of that the VMB4000 would support viewing local recording on the app for a Pro2, but not an Essential, or the point that if it was better detailed without having to dig through community boards, I would have expanded my system with something other than the Essential (ie another Pro2).

Dgibbs
Aspirant
Aspirant
I agree with you samspadefan.. the exact think is happening to me. If I had known that the Essential would not provide the free 7 day recording after the trial I would just gotten another Pro camera I stead. Money wasted I guess.
klipschman70
Tutor
Tutor

Absolutely agree with you too. Arlo essential is a waste of money.

As a matter of fact I also just returned the long awaited Arlo wireless doorbell that I pre-ordered. It turns out the wireless doorbell does not work with Arlo base at all. What a shame! I guess it means good bye Arlo for me 😞