Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo app won't open camera

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I just bought a new Arlo Essential Spotlight Camera and I am trying to add the device using the Android Arlo app. Everything goes fine until I get to the step where I'm supposed to scan the QR Code. For some reason the app is not opening my camera in order to scan the code. I've tried it on my phone and two different tablets and the same problem occurs each time. I have gone into settings and given the app permission to use the camera. Any ideas? Is there any way to add the code manually?

4 REPLIES 4
dcfox1
Master
Master

I had  the cam when it first came out but I was connecting to a smart hub directly and didn't have to scan. If you have a hub/base you can do that instead of wifi for now.  There are other post on the same problem here you can read that had a solution or someone will chime in. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

trford69,

What model Android device are you using? Do you have another device you could use to test to see if you experience the same behavior?

JamesC

Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have a Samsung S20 FE with Android 10, but I've also tried with another older phone and two different tablets. I granted the app every permission under the sun, and for some reason, it just won't open the camera to scan the QR code.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

trford69,

When scanning the QR code, you simply aim the camera at your phone until it chimes accepting the code. What instructions are you seeing that is telling you to aim your phones camera at a QR code? You shouldn't need to use your phone's camera to onboard. Can you provide more details?

JamesC