Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Robbelothe
Initiate
Initiate

I originally purchased an Arlo Pro 2 4-camera package with a base station.   A couple months ago, I purchased two Arlo Essential Spotlight Cameras because Arlo told me that they would work with my base station which came with my Arlo Pro 2 cameras. Well, my trial period with Arlo Smart expired - I don't really need those features but I do need the basic features my Arlo Pro 2 system provides. Unfortunately, my Essential Spotlight Cameras send notification of unspecified activity to my smart phone but the video is NOT saved on my base station despite Arlo's assurance that the Essential Spotlight Cameras would work with my Pro 2 base station.  Is there a way to make my two Essential Spotlight Cameras save video to my Pro 2 base station?  I'm going to be pretty ticked off if Arlo lied to me just to sell me the two Essential Spotlight Cameras. Thanks.  PS, why is it virtually impossible to get any help directly from Arlo?

7 REPLIES 7
dcfox1
Master
Master

They do connect to the VMB4000. 

Here are compatible bases/hubs.

What is the difference between each Arlo SmartHub and base station?

Have you set up local storage on your base.

What is Direct Storage Access and how do I use it? (arlo.com)

Roadstar
Tutor
Tutor

I have an Arlo Pro system with VMB4000 base and 3 other Arlo Pro cameras.  The supplied response to he original post does not appear to answer the question. Once the free trial of the supplied service has expired, the Essential Spotlight Camera no longer saves video to the Smart Hub/ Base Station as it did during the free trial. The camera was sold as being compatible with the VMB4000, not as 'being compatible with the VMB4000 only if you subscribe to the service when the free trial is over'. What gives, Arlo? Is there a fix or procedure to get the video to save with the others on the same Smart Hub/ Base Station as the other cameras after the free trial? 

VMB4000 not listed for Direct Storage Access. It was stated in the original post that the user had a VMB4000 so I don't understand why that 'solution' was even listed.

Roadstar
Tutor
Tutor

As a quick update, it seems that all video from the Essential Spotlight Camera was removed from the 5 day history. If the camera will no longer save as the other cameras on the system, I want my money back for this false advertising.

dcfox1
Master
Master

@Roadstar wrote:

I have an Arlo Pro system with VMB4000 base and 3 other Arlo Pro cameras.  The supplied response to he original post does not appear to answer the question. Once the free trial of the supplied service has expired, the Essential Spotlight Camera no longer saves video to the Smart Hub/ Base Station as it did during the free trial. The camera was sold as being compatible with the VMB4000, not as 'being compatible with the VMB4000 only if you subscribe to the service when the free trial is over'. What gives, Arlo? Is there a fix or procedure to get the video to save with the others on the same Smart Hub/ Base Station as the other cameras after the free trial? 

VMB4000 not listed for Direct Storage Access. It was stated in the original post that the user had a VMB4000 so I don't understand why that 'solution' was even listed.

Read the link again the VMB4000 Is compatible with direct storage. You have to pull the USB and view in a computer for the base. The Smart Hubs you can view in the app. 

What is the difference between each Arlo SmartHub and base station?

What is Direct Storage Access and how do I use it? (arlo.com)

Roadstar
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you for the clarification, but having to go to the hub, extract the drive, and plug it into a computer sort of defeats the purpose of having an app on your phone.

It still does not explain why the videos are not continuing to be recorded along with the rest of the cameras on the system. If I don't need or want the additional features offered, it shouldn't mean that the camera stops functioning as advertised. If a product is advertised as working with my hub, and it did for the entire 'trial period', I would expect it to work without the extra feature software.  It also shouldn't delete previously saved video form the 7 day cloud save. Since the trial period exceeds the return window, I am now stuck with an expensive paperweight. 

Just as an afterthought, The six month battery life is a joke. I had to charge it after less than 90 days with minimal use. If this is Arlo's plan for future hardware and software compatibility, I will be transitioning my system to another system. 

Roadstar
Tutor
Tutor

Also , please explain how a VMB4000 is able to use Direct Storage Access as stated in the first reply.

To set up Direct Storage Access, you need the following:

• The Arlo app (version 2.12 or higher)
    Direct Storage Access is not available on my.arlo.com.
  • An Arlo SmartHub (VMB5000 or VMB4540)
  • A router
    Note: we recommend using a virtual private network (VPN) router.
  • A USB or microSD device that is compatible with your Arlo SmartHub
dcfox1
Master
Master

I already explained that you have to pull out the USB and view on a computer for the VMB4000. It is different the Smart Hubs. 

I don't know what more to tell you that will convince you of that.