Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
DougM38
Follower
Follower

I have 2 Arlo Essential cameras, both mounted outside with solar panels. One gets enough sun to keep the camera battery charged, the other, due to its location, doesn't. Over 2 months the charge on that one has gone from 100% to 12%. Granted it's winter and there are cloudy days and the sun is not as high in the sky.

I'm wondering if I can use a USB parallel splitter to connect another solar panel (sealing the plug with silicon caulk)? The output voltage would be the same, the wattage presumably would be doubled if both panels face the same direction. Can I assume the camera is designed such that 2 somewhat shaded panels shouldn't overload the charging circuitry? I'm guessing that the 2 panels in oblique light wouldn't produce much more, if any, power than 1 panel in direct, strong sunlight. Anyone done this successfully?

1 REPLY 1
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

DougM38,

The cameras are not designed to be connected to more than one solar panel.  Any sort of modification like this is not recommended as it could cause damage to your camera and void the warranty.

JamesC