Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

"always listen mode" shuts off - Arlo Baby

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Robosledge
Guide
Guide

I have had Arlo Baby for almost 2 weeks now. And I really want to like it. The picture from the camera is fantastic. And the night vision is the best I have seen. It is loaded with tons of great features. But unfortunately the single most important thing I need it to do, monitor audio, it fails time & time again. This product is simply too unreliable to trust. A $20 unit does a better job. And the Arlo baby cost a tad bit more than $20. I can live with all the other quirks that many have mentioned. But I can't live with audio feed shutting off randomly & for no reason I can find. I have been using 3 different devices (iPhone, iPad & android phone). And this happens on all of them. Even though on each device it still says audio is playing. I should clarify that the audio feed works just fine when you have the app open. I am talking about when you are using the "always listening mode" that allows you to turn screen off, use other apps, etc. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Also, I was going to wait till the 7" touchscreen comes out (whenever that may be) but am afraid that it basically will function the same way & be plagued with the same issues.

Thank you for your help!

9 REPLIES 9
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Netgear is aware of this new issue.... and are working on it.

Contact Netgear Support , your info may help fix it

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Robosledge
Guide
Guide

Thanks for the response. I'll send info to tech support. Thanks.

Jandc
Tutor
Tutor
Has this been sorted, mine is not working. Isn't this like the basic thing a baby monitor should have. This is not working when app is closed
Robosledge
Guide
Guide

No this was not resolved. At least not that I am aware of. I returned my Arlo Baby. I simply could not rely on it. Bought something for 1/3 the price that actually works as a monitor. Very happy that I made this switch.

I wanted to like the Arlo Baby. It has some great features. But in the end it just isn't a good baby monitor. Which was the entire reason I bought it. Throw in how much it costs & it just isn't worth owning.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jandc,

When you say it's not working when the app is closed, what do you mean? The app needs to be running for always listening to work (it will not work if you force close or log out of the mobile app).

JamesC

Jandc
Tutor
Tutor
OK I'll explain it like this.

-open app
-start viewing
-click always listening (can year sound)
-arlo now running on notification panel
-lock screen (sound stopped)
-arlo is still showing with play/pause icon
- clicking play does not do anything
and can't hear anything

Following everything the lady on the YouTube clip does. I don't hear anything.

Same thing happened for screen going to sleep even with app open. (stopped hearing)

Saw many examples of this... Sounds like arlo baby is failing at being a basic baby monitor....

(feels like 80/20 rule... Seems like they spent 80% of their time on functionality that will only be used 20% of the time)

Harsh but prob true... #annoyed #notwhatipaidfor
Robosledge
Guide
Guide

Yup! That is exactly what I have tried to explain. It was very frustraiting but not anymore for me as I returned this product. I suggest you do the same. Trust me you will be glad you did.

I do hope the Arlo Baby ends up being a good product. And perhaps in time it will be. But as of now it is simply not ready to be a reliable baby monitor (especially at the cost of the unit).

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jandc,

What model device and OS version are you using? Do you see any difference when connected to your home WiFi versus being connected to mobile data?

JamesC

Jandc
Tutor
Tutor
Been struggling to log in the last 3 nights, started feeling like I got blocked for complaining Bout the product, but seem to be able to log in again tonight.

Nope same issue Wi-Fi and data.
All 3 devices are latest version android 2 HTC phones and one Samsung tablet. See reviews all over the internet that this doesnt work.... Should have done better research. Regardless the product should not say this is a feature if it doesn't work...

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation