Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Why aren't the settings persistent? Why does ANYTHING on this screen change?

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
WalkingKnight
Tutor
Tutor

Nothing on this screen should ever change, not even if I power off the device and power it back on.  I want a developer to come in this forum and explain this design choice.

WPv+ni6KQHK4eftQpwds+w_thumb_797e.jpg

9 REPLIES 9
WalkingKnight
Tutor
Tutor

I also love how the Arlo Baby model number isn't available in the "model" field for the Arlo Baby forum.  It's ABC1000A-100PAS, for anyone coming here from Google.

I RMA'ed two Arlo Baby cameras before someone in support finally told me that it worked like this BY DESIGN.  I mean, seriously, BY DESIGN.  Because what a sleep-deprived new parent really wants is to choose between a) constant alerts all day long because a dog barked or a truck drove past the house, or b) the possibility of forgetting to go through the twelve-step reset process every time you turn the damned camera off, so that it doesn't alert you of anything until you wake up to the sound of your hyper-traumatized child who has been screaming at the top of her lungs trying to get your attention. 

Good job, Arlo developers.  Clearly there's not a parent in the bunch.

WalkingKnight
Tutor
Tutor

Oh, and when I complained on social media, I got a special "social media complaint" support ticket.  No explanation, no resolution, but they sent me a cheap shopping bag and a non-dishwasher-safe water bottle.

More stuff that every parent needs, because god knows anyone who bought a baby monitor wants to hand-wash ONE MORE THING.

WalkingKnight
Tutor
Tutor

Anyone?  Anyone?  Seriously, guys, I type 90wpm and have a lot of spare time in between customer engagements, I can make sure that every single visible post on your forum is one of mine until my questions get some answers.  Up to you.

WalkingKnight
Tutor
Tutor

Support now claims that this is NOT behaving as designed, and that the settings are, in fact, supposed to be persistent.  I've got news for you, guys--I have two cameras, both have been RMA'ed at least once, both have current firmware, and I'm up to date on the new IOS app--and if I set up monitoring, shut off the device, and turn it back on, all of those settings have been cleared.  My daughter woke up the whole house last night because Arlo Baby failed yet again.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @WalkingKnight

Is your Arlo Baby running version 1.9.9.0 808?

I was not able to replicate the issue you are experiencing. I tested with an iPhone 11 Pro Max with iOS 13.2.

Do you have the latest version of the Arlo mobile app 2.10 & iOS 13.2 installed on your iPhone?

Checkerhead
Aspirant
Aspirant

I can't replicate this error either. 
I do have issues that when a shared user changes settings about notifications it also changes my notification settings. Also, every time I open the app it's loaded defaults rather than what I had selected last time (ie speaker volume is on)

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Checkerhead

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

WalkingKnight
Tutor
Tutor

I opened tickets with support for each of my devices and raised some hell on social media.  Believe me, I tested this repeatedly with four different units (sent two back for RMA replacement before support finally admitted that this was a "feature").  I think they quietly fixed it in the last release, because it's not behaving like this anymore, but I have yet to have anyone from support confirm that a fix was applied.

WalkingKnight
Tutor
Tutor

The problem is back as of the 12/5 software release.  If you're fully updated, try replicating the problem now?

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation