Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Baby arlo touchscreen announcement

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
alevy
Guide
Guide
Hello. Since it was announced that the dedicated touchscreen will not be released, will the kindle fire you are promoting be able to connect without a wifi connection?
12 REPLIES 12
Mavin
Star
Star

Not sure the question makes sense? The cameras by definition need a wifi connection, so your household will have wifi...

No, the tablets would not work without a wifi connection. They would not broadcast their own signal for you to connect to. 

alevy
Guide
Guide
The reason why I purchased the arlo baby is because netgear advertised a dedicated touchscreen that would connect without wifi. Did you not know about that feature?
Mavin
Star
Star

I suspect you misunderstood the prior posted information, but I dont know. Why do you have a problem using your own internal wifi network? If you are connected to the same router/SSID that your cameras are connected to, it will all stream locally if you have data caps or something. Not sure how else they could do it.

This camera has lots of issues, but having a tablet that works via magic and without wifi is low on my list of issues. 

Mavin
Star
Star

So I found the archived text, and I agree it is worded very poorly:

"The Arlo Baby Display is designed for an uninterrupted baby monitoring experience, so you can use your smartphone for other tasks. With this large 7" touchscreen display, the Arlo Baby camera can also be used offline, without the need for an internet connection, just like a traditional baby monitor. Take the Arlo Baby camera and display anywhere you want and still enjoy many of the available smart features even when a WiFi connection is not available."

What I assume they are saying is that your router does not need to be actually connected to the internet for the cameras to work. You would still need a wifi router to broadcast an internal signal for your cameras/tablet to connect to. Maybe I am wrong though and they had intentions of just allowing you to have the Arlo baby + Tablet and no need for a router. No way that would work with using just a fire tablet. 

Mavin
Star
Star

I suppose it is also possible that the cameras have the hardware capability to broadcast their own wifi signal that you could connect directly to. This would be able to be turned on via a firmware update if they wanted you to just be able to stream locally. 

The more I think about it the more you were probably right from the start 🙂 They would still work via 2.4/5 ghz wifi, but you could connect directly to the camera and bypass the need for a central router. 

alevy
Guide
Guide
Hello again. At this point I’ve lost confidence in your replies. Before posting to a customer that they may have misread the information please make sure that you yourself understands the original design of the hardware. Also, as a customer I did not ask what your list of issues included. I spent money on this device knowing that a feature was promised and now that feature will not be released. Obviously while I am at home I can use wifi, but being able to take this outside of the home such as traveling would have been great, not that I needed to explain this to you. You should also research how customers can request a refund on this product, enticing customers with false advertisement in order for them to purchase the baby arlo is not ideal.
Mavin
Star
Star

I am just a random customer not an employee. Was trying to be helpful. Thanks though. 

alevy
Guide
Guide
Hello. I appologize, I assumed you represent netgear from the tutor title. ,
Mavin
Star
Star

No worries. It is somewhat of an ambiguous title to give someone. 

The more I actually looked at this question, there clearly was an advertised P2P mode that they are now failing to address. Would be a nice feature. In the short term I would take a camera that doesnt need to be hard reset every other day. 

alevy
Guide
Guide
The problem for me is that’s why I paid so much for this device. I don’t use any other feature because I still leave an audio monitor in the nursery. Other than the dedicated touchscreen, I could have gone with an arlo q for half the price.
Mavin
Star
Star

We have cheapo backup audio-only monitors in both childs rooms as backups because you just cant trust these cameras right now. Things have been a little better after I switched to the 5ghz band from 2.4 ghz. 

Jking820
Initiate
Initiate

I agree, Netgear should offer a return program.  I also purchased the Arlo Baby specifically for the 7” touchscreen no internet necessary option.  We have a cottage location we frequent that doesn’t have the ability to get a internet connection.  So having a monitor I could use at home with all the features while also using it while traveling with just the basic features and no internet was an important distinction and the reason I went with Arlo baby.  Now I just have an expensive camera using its own ecosystem that can’t leave the house and is quirky trying to connect when switching internet locations.

return please!

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation