Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
teotaj
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I recently purchased an Arlo Baby. I have an Arlo Pro in my house which I have been happy with and I liked the Arlo Baby features.

A few limitations have come up with the Arlo Babyc which I was not aware of.

1. Can I connect multiple phones to the Arlo Baby? With my Arlo Pro both my wife and my phone can access I know that it is connected through the Base Station vs the camera directly. So my questions; can the the Arlo Baby have mutiple phones view it? If not can I connect the Arlo BAbyc to the base station to allow multiple phones to view it?

2. Also, the Arlo baby video seems to lag when I connect to it. I have tried adjusting refresh rates, resolution etc. When I place my Arlo Baby and Arlo Pro side by side in the room, both cameras connected to the same WiFi network, the Arlo Pro has no lag but the Arlo baby does. Are there any other settings or areas I can adjust to better the Arlo Baby realtime video repsponse time.

Thank you in advance on any help to these queetions.

-M

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Streak2
Master Master
Master

Well done.

Remember that the baby connects directly to your wifi and the pro connects via the base which is hardwired to your router.

So, although they are in the same room, the path to get the live video to your app. is different for the two devices.

Moving the router a little higher or rotating it slightly along with a small reposition of the camera could improve the signal just enough to improve the lag.

Use the wifi signal strength monitor on your phone or download one of the apps. to see if you can shift things around a little to optimise the signal at the Arlo baby.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Streak2
Master Master
Master

Yes you can have multiple phones accessing the Arlo baby.

Use the grant access feature to add the camera to your wife's account.

You will then both be able to access the camera at the same time.

The Arlo Baby does not work via the base but connects directly via your wifi. You would add it the camera to the account, not to the base.

Have you update to the latest firmware released today?

I don't find the lag any worse than my pro cameras, about 2 to 3 seconds on live view.

I would be most surprised if you have no lag at all on your Arlo Pro.

teotaj
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply Streak2!

As far as adding the camera to a pnone and firware update, I will do both of those tonight.

For the lag issue i am probably using the wrong verbaige. Both cameras will have a few second lag when virewing live video and the Arlo Pro's video will remain continuous with little issue. When I stream the live Arlo Baby video though the video feed will freeze and need to buffer multiple times a minute. Sometime the video itself is only comimg up with vertical lines before fully loading or refreshing. There seems to be very little continuous live video reliablity from my Arlo Baby.

Again, the video live stream issue is confirmed (at least in my case) with both cameras side on the same Network.

Streak2
Master Master
Master

Check to see what the wifi signal strength is in the room where the Arlo Baby is located.

As a test, move it closer to your wifi router and then try and live stream again to see if the problem persists.

Also, what is your internet connection speed?

Do the software upgrade first and then test again.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

teotaj

A firmware update for Arlo Baby was released on 5-21-2017 that may help, be sure you have the latest firmware: Release Notes – Arlo Baby 1.8.0.27_12874 – 21st May 2017

We are also aware that live streaming latency is an issue which has been concerning many of our users, and have been working on new versions of the Arlo mobile app to bring down this latency to meet your expectations. We are hoping to bring these updates to you very soon, so please stay tuned! In the meantime, you can read about how to minimize streaming latency here.

JamesC

teotaj
Aspirant
Aspirant

Streak2 and James,

Updates:

1. Arlo Baby was conected to both phones after i allowed the permission (DONE)

2. firmware updtae was applied (DONE)

3. Network connectivity was tested. Yes the Arlo Baby was more respinsive closer to the router but that is expected. With Arlo bay and Pro in same room, next to each other (upstairs) Pro's live feed did not have an issue Baby did.

Streak2 - I will keep monitotring, hopefully the firmware update addresses this. I did not look further into specific speeds of my network, my test was to compare 2 like products on the same Network side by side. I am not looking to pay for more bandwidth or purchase repears/extenders at this time. Trying to work with what I hav 1st.

James - I thank you and your team for addressing these isses and will await any future firmware or software updates for this issue.

Thank you both again.

-M

Streak2
Master Master
Master

Well done.

Remember that the baby connects directly to your wifi and the pro connects via the base which is hardwired to your router.

So, although they are in the same room, the path to get the live video to your app. is different for the two devices.

Moving the router a little higher or rotating it slightly along with a small reposition of the camera could improve the signal just enough to improve the lag.

Use the wifi signal strength monitor on your phone or download one of the apps. to see if you can shift things around a little to optimise the signal at the Arlo baby.

teotaj
Aspirant
Aspirant

Good point Streak2,

I did not take that into account. It is not a true apples to apples comparison.

I will try your suggestions.

Sandlot32
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

Are you able to view the Arlo Baby and the Arlo Pro within the same Netgear account or do you have two free basic accounts for each camera? I bought the baby camera first and then bought the Arlo Pro after but am trying to figure out a way for the two to co-exist so I do not have to take the Pro back. Thank you.

~A

Streak2
Master Master
Master
You get 7 days cloud recording per account for up to 5 Arlo cameras regardless of model.
So 1 baby and 4 pros will be fine.
Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation