Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Baby grant access users can delete library content

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 In Conversation
LauraP
Follower
Follower

Netgear community- what is the reason to own a WiFi camera over a radio signal one please?
Answer: to check on your children while you are at work or away from home.

As a working mom, I believe it is SO important to have a monitoring system set up throughout the house to watch my children and the nanny. I am a pediatric hospital pharmacist and my husband is an ER doctor. You would not believe how often there is abuse at home from a caregiver/nanny. I’d give examples, but I don’t want a HIPPA violation, so please trust me in the fact that it does happen frequently! Please google “bad nannies caught on camera” if you don’t believe me. It is SO important to have an indoor security system. Make sure the nanny knows about it too, as it keeps them accountable for their actions. My children are the reason I work hard, so I need to make sure they are well cared for when I am away. There are cameras at almost every workplace, your home is their workplace. I cannot express more the importance of having Arlo home security system.

Soooooo, the nanny has to use the app to monitor the children, right? So she knows when the children wake up? So you could just leave an old iPad logged in at the house, and she could use it, right?

Well, that means she has access to ALL your recordings to ALL your cameras. So if she losses it for a moment and hurts one of your children, she can go into your recordings and delete it... which completely eliminates the entire reason for getting the WiFi monitor in the first place. (In addition she could go through your old recordings- say when the kids are asleep and you’re having alone time with your husband-which is just creepy)

I am so disappointed in Arlo for this MAJOR flaw. What kind of parents did you have in your beta testing? Obviously not your target customers. I would gladly join your beta testers for when you fix this error, but for now, I have already bought a different brand’s WiFi baby monitor and now am using two apps- one for the kid’s rooms and one for the rest of the house. I do have the Arlo indoor security system set up all over the house, and I highly recommend it, but I can say wth confidence as of right now, I do NOT recommend the Arlo Baby with this major flaw.

I even called customer service and asked about this problem, and she said I am correct- there is no way to stop the nanny from viewing and deleting recordings. She also said that I should post about it here on the community page so that the error becomes acknowledged.

6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you looked at acess privliges as listed ??.... No admin access and they can not delete but they can view

Friends who are granted access rights can do the following:

• Play and pause video footage
  • Record video footage
  • Mute the speaker
  • Enter full-screen view
  • View live footage
  • Zoom and drag video footage
  • Control brightness
  • Access and change modes
  • View motion detection statuses
  • Manually record
  • Take snapshots
  • Favorite, share, download, and delete video footage
  • Use a camera's microphone

Friends without access rights can do the following:

• Play and view library content
  • View live footage
  • Zoom and drag video footage
  • Control brightness
  • Enter full-screen view
--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
steve_t
Master Master
Master

LauraP wrote:

I even called customer service and asked about this problem, and she said I am correct- there is no way to stop the nanny from viewing and deleting recordings. She also said that I should post about it here on the community page so that the error becomes acknowledged.

Do you know who you spoke to? This information is totally incorrect and the Netgear Agent should be informed of this.
As per the post above in the Grant Access menu, when you click on the name of the person you're granting access, there's a switch at the bottom of the page for Allow Access Rights. Turning this off means the nanny cannot delete recordings. This same menu also allows you to select which cameras are visible to this account. This is a basic function and customer support should know about this. If you would be so kind as to contact support once again and let them know about the previous support agent, this will help Netgear's internal processes ensure that this misinformation is not spread.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

LauraP,

What TomMac and steve_t have provided above is correct. Do you have a case number I can reference to pass this information along so that this miscommunication doesn't continue in the future?

JamesC

DanielleRig
Aspirant
Aspirant
Is there any way to edit how much of the library the "friend" is able to view? I don't see why my babysitter needs to see videos from a week ago. Would like to limit that to about the last 8-10 hours of library if possible.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not without deleting all the videos. If you choose to do that, be sure to download any potentially useful videos first. Be proactive about it.

Cjschmidt
Initiate
Initiate
Nope. Want to let Grandma check in on her grandson or let the babysitter keep an eye on him? Better be ok with them having access to video of you feeding him in your underwear the night before.

I have no idea what they were thinking or why this hasn’t been fixed.
Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 In Conversation