Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
markyoung99
Guide
Guide

Hi There,

I recently bought the Arlo Baby cam, which is working fine. I have been using this through the app as well as Apple Home kit. I have noticed that the camera stays on with a live feed through Apple Home kit even after I have turned it off through the Arlo App.

To clarify when I say I have turned it off I mean I have selected the three dots under the image of the camera feed, then selected the device settings and toggled the device off. After doing this when I return to the front screen there is no image and text that states “This camera is currently disabled and will not respond to mode changes”

So you would think this is off, but in fact if I can go into the Apple home kit app and continue to view the live feed without having to turn the camera on through the Arlo app.

I was wondering if this will be fixed at all?

Thanks

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

This issue should now be resolved with the latest firmware version for the Arlo Baby. You can learn about the latest firmware version here: Arlo Baby ABC1000 - 1.9.13.0_815 - 19th May 2020.

We appreciate everyone's patience about this. Please let us know if you're still experiencing this issue with the latest firmware version.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @markyoung99,

We recently released a new firmware update for the Arlo Baby. Try to see if the newest firmware update fixes the problem you are experiencing. You can read about the firmware update is here: Arlo Baby - 1.8.6.2_22781 - 6th December 2018

markyoung99
Guide
Guide
Hi thanks for the reply unfortunately it’s still active in the apple home app after turning it off in the arlo app after updating the app

Kiwidad
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've seen that to turn the device off you go into the App and switch the toggle option to device off..

no worries - the Arlo app then says device is not active HOWEVER (wtf moment..)

if you're running HOME on your i-pad/phone you'll see the camera as a device is active and working..video is presented and recording..even though Arlo app says the device is off

so the device is supposed to be off but it's actually still on? anyone else see this and slightly concerned the camera is doing something it shouldn't?

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi @Kiwidad,

Could you elaborate what you mean when running HOME? Do you mean the Apple Homekit?

Kiwidad
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Jessica,

yes - on the Iphone/ Pad there's a yellow house icon. Clicking this the Arlo Camera & Sensors are available. The Camera & Sensors are available regardless of whether the Arlo app has turned the device on or off...so it would seem the device is on all the time (including microphone)..

Home doesn't have all the features of the Arlo app eg can't record but what it does do is provide a simple platform of all IoT available on a 'single pane of glass'..the concern is the Arlo is always on which would mean the device security is then under scrutiny..

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Thanks again for the detailed information.Our development team is aware about the issue where some users are experiencing the Arlo Baby is running on Homekit when privacy mode is enabled. We appreciate your patience and understanding about this and will provide any update as soon as we have more information to share.

LoKiRha
Initiate
Initiate

Hey all - I'm new to the forums and to the camera/smart device world.

I bought a baby monitor and keep it in our bedroom for when our toddler takes a nap.  The only thing is, we don't want to have it running outside of that time.

I have turned my new Arlo Baby monitor off in the Arlo app using Device Settings>Device Off and with Mode>Monitoring off; however, if I go to my Home App using Apple's Homekit, it's still a live and continous feed.  The Arlo app will tell me the device is off, but the Home app will stream a live feed.

I want to keep it powered on; to continue to use the temperature, humidity, and air quality; and to ensure it is on the network for when I want to turn on the camera.  For now, I have to face it against the wall and turn it when I want to use the camera feed.

How can I turn it on or off the camera feed without turning the entire camera off? 

Thanks!

antaron
Aspirant
Aspirant

I recognized a weired behaviour of my new Arlo Baby camera. I don't want to leave the camera always on, especially when my baby is in the same room with me or we're not even in our appartment. So I turn the camera off via the Arlo app via settings. The Arlo app then shows no live video anymore.

I also added the Arlo baby to Apple Homekit. When I launch the Apple Home App I can even see a live stream and working sensors when the camera was turned off via the Arlo app.

Does this mean that the Arlo Baby camera constantly streams video and audio to the Arlo servers even when turned off?

How is this possible? This concerns me a lot. If the camera is turned off, it should be turned off. I also think the camera should somehow indicate when it streams, like a webcam that shows a green light when turned on.

Featurewise: I would love to see 2FA for the authentication process. That would raise security a lot.

Thanks for your help. Maybe I configured something wrong.

Jwork
Aspirant
Aspirant
Where are we at with this? It has been months since this was brought up and no progress. This is seriously concerning. It would appear the off switch means nothing...
markyoung99
Guide
Guide
I raised this a year ago and still no fix?
To continue with some of my other posts relating to issues since iOS 13 that have come to light recently ; if you use the microphone through the app or through Apple home kit the camera freezes for several minutes
You get that message stating your camera is off line in the arlo app and the feed restart eventually
JDLoz
Tutor
Tutor
This is such a massive privacy breach!
JDLoz
Tutor
Tutor

Massive privacy breach!! How has this not been addressed?! I can see the live feed in HomeKit when device is switched off through the arlo app. This means there is a live feed at all times that could be hacked. Video of me breast feeding. Getting changed. This is unacceptable. And even more unacceptable that this has been flagged over a year ago and NOTHING has been done to address the issue.

JDLoz
Tutor
Tutor
Massive privacy Breach. Live feed still active in HomeKit app when cam switched OFF in arlo app. This means there is a constant live feed that can be hacked and watched and recorded by anyone! Video of me breastfeeding, getting changed, having sex. This is unacceptable and has been flagged with arlo over a year ago! What are you doing about it?
Gduerson
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’m still trying to figure out if this can be turned off via HomeKit. Seems like most basic of all features. Help please ?
JDLoz
Tutor
Tutor
No clue. I have removed from HomeKit in the hope this stops the steaming but I doubt it. I’m sure it can still be accessed by third party if they so wish so I turn it to the wall when not monitoring baby.
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

This issue should now be resolved with the latest firmware version for the Arlo Baby. You can learn about the latest firmware version here: Arlo Baby ABC1000 - 1.9.13.0_815 - 19th May 2020.

We appreciate everyone's patience about this. Please let us know if you're still experiencing this issue with the latest firmware version.

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation