Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

dsmythe
Tutor
Tutor

My wife and I have an Arlo Pro system and are interested in the Arlo Baby. We also really like the dedicated touch screen so we could separate the Arlo Baby from our other Arlo's a little and because the live stream on the app times out after awhile and it would mean we don't have to dedicate our tablets or phones to streaming the baby's cam. We have a 9 week old, so we hope to get the Arlo Baby sooner versus later and noticed the version with the dedicated touchscreen monitor isn't on preorder and is said to arrive sometime in the summer. 

Questions: Is the current pre-order Arlo Baby model without the dedicated touchscreen able to function with the touchscreen monitor later? Will the monitor be sold separately as well so that we could pre-order an Arlo Baby now and then buy the touch screen monitor separately to go with it when it comes out or if we simply wanted a second dedicated monitor later?

158 REPLIES 158
Steph44
Guide
Guide
I would like to just be able to return it. I have been patient waiting for the direct connect tablet. I really thought this would be the perfect monitor. I truly don’t understand how, in 2018, it takes 30+ seconds to connect AND you couldn’t deliver on your tablet promise. Just let people return the **bleep**ty product.
Pmrodriguez
Guide
Guide
Am I the only one having serious issues with this baby monitor since yesterday when all most found out the monitor was never coming? My arlo app keeps going completely white. I have to keep signing in. It’s almost like Netgear is messing with everyone’s camera because we got pissed they wouldn’t honor their initial offer. I’ve had consistent issues but now this thing is really not working right.
farrellw
Star
Star
Agree 100%. Mines been acting up last 4 days. Disconnects nightly and won’t reconnect until I power cycle it which is a blast since my daughter is in bed. It’s been very frustrating to use this week. Don’t know if there was an update that’s screwed up or what
F2W12
Guide
Guide
Look at the other threads on this message board. Lots of people have been complaining of constant issues since the last update.

And Netgear wants us to believe that getting a $30 coupon towards an Amazon tablet is supposed to make up for this thing essentially being a expensive, albeit cute, paperweight?

Just give us our money back.
uunnzz
Aspirant
Aspirant

What a fail! Can you guys at least enable P2P mode on the camera so I can use a better app to monitor it? With the recent updates the Arlo app on Android can't stay connected to the camera and many times won't connect to begin with. For all of you who want a better solution you should get a WyzeCam camera (~$25) and use TinyCam Pro (~$4). You would also need a micro SD card if you would like to record automatically on the camera. The only things it doesn't do is monitor temperature and humidity, and doesn't play music. It does make up for that in other ways like having P2P (direct local connection to the camera - does not have to use the internet), picture-in-picture mode on your phone/tablet (dunno if this works on Apple devices), background audio, customizable audio/motion alerts. It also allows you to create a shortcut directly to a camera so you just need one tap to get to it, which can also be done with tap and hold (3D touch on Apple... lol) and selecting a camera from the menu that pops up from the app icon. Sad that a $30 solution works better for me than the Arlo camera and app. I wish I could get a refund and buy a normal baby monitor for 20% of the cost or just keep using my WyzeCam solution.

UpsetCustomer99
Guide
Guide

I'm here to pass along my support to all of the other loyal Netgear customers that were affected by Netgear's most recent show of extreme unreliability and complete indifference to customer concerns.  Many customers, myself included, have been waiting patiently for Netgear to fulfill their advertised commitment only to find that we've been duped.  The Arlo Baby is now officially not able to operate in the manner that it was initially advertised.  I, along with many others, have screenshots of all of the advertisements and comments from moderators stating that the Arlo Baby would eventually function in a direct connected manner that would allow for its use in locations without wifi.  Like so many others, I would not have purchased this product had it not been for this promised eventual capability/functionality.  Now that it has been announced that this advertised functionality will no longer be available, I will be forced to purchase other equipment.  The product is no longer able to be returned to the retailer that it was purchased from.  I would like a complete refund and to return my Arlo Baby to Netgear or will be forced to participate in legal action with the other customers that were deceived.

Please respond ASAP.  

pobo123
Star
Star

directly from their webpage - download the pic to the right so you can see how badly everyone was duped.  Clock is ticking Netgear!

rwinter
Guide
Guide

If there was any advertising on the packaging, or contents saying this would work with a future planned product (the remote screen), you could probably return the product to the reseller under the implied warranty law.

UpsetCustomer99
Guide
Guide

I don't recall that there was any reference but I will check when I return home.  I'm sure they were careful to not include this on the Arlo Baby packaging.  Worth a look nonetheless.

Edit: Nothing on the packaging it seems, however the attached screenshot is of physical, printed media that came with my Arlo Baby.  See screenshot.

farrellw
Star
Star

The only reference on the box that is even close is wording that says "View from Anywhere, Anytime" located above the packaging window and on the side of the box.  On the side it also adds "Keep an eye on your baby using the Arlo app to watch, listen in, and talk using your smartphone, tablet or computer." There are no other references to dedicated monitors, direct connect etc on the box.

Also as an added downfall to their claims on the bottom of the box under requierments, it lists High-Speed Internet, WiFi Connection and AC Power.

F2W12
Guide
Guide

I also have the above-referenced card within the packaging promising the release of the tablet.

But even if there was nothing on the box or included in packaging, I like many others here pre-ordered the Arlo Baby based solely on electronic advertising, before a box even existed. I relied on this marketing, as well as subsequent promises made on here as well as through social media, chat, email, and phone calls with Arlo Support. I even recall a phone conversation I had with someone from support several months ago where that associate told me that he was receiving training on the dedicated tablet in the upcoming days because it was to be released within a few short weeks. And look where we are now!

I have had to suffer through the black screens, lost connections, latency, pixelation, and failed update after failed update (like the current one) that each only has worked to erode any and all positive progress that was previously made. All of these are completely unacceptable issues to have with a baby monitor, but I continued to stay with the product ONLY because of the promise of a dedicated tablet. Now not only is the tablet being scrapped altogether, but now they're trying to dupe me a second a second time by saying that the product wouldn't have even lived up to my expectations anyway. I was led on for a year. How naive of me.

Give us the option to get our money back Netgear.

I even bought the later-released stand (why did that take 9 months to release anyway) and the cute little kitty outfit. I'll gladly take a loss on these to get my money back for the camera right now, so that I can quickly give my business to someone who actually knows what they're doing.  

rwinter
Guide
Guide

How about the products datasheet. The screen is still listed as an "excellent addition" accessory.

Capture.PNG

rwinter
Guide
Guide

@F2W12wrote:

I also have the above-referenced card within the packaging promising the release of the tablet.

But even if there was nothing on the box or included in packaging, I like many others here pre-ordered the Arlo Baby based solely on electronic advertising, before a box even existed. I relied on this marketing, as well as subsequent promises made on here as well as through social media, chat, email, and phone calls with Arlo Support. I even recall a phone conversation I had with someone from support several months ago where that associate told me that he was receiving training on the dedicated tablet in the upcoming days because it was to be released within a few short weeks. And look where we are now!

Yes, but if the product packaging itself includes a promise that is unforfilled:

"(f) conform to the promises or affirmations of fact made on the container or label if any."

Or if the seller knows of a particular purpose that the device ends of not fullfilling:

"Where the seller at the time of contracting has reason to know any particular purpose for which the goods are required and that the buyer is relying on the seller's skill or judgment to select or furnish suitable goods, there is unless excluded or modified under the next section an implied warranty that the goods shall be fit for such purpose."

then, assuming you haven't waived your rights to the implied warranty, you can just return it to the place of purchase and ask for a full refund.

UpsetCustomer99
Guide
Guide

As a Bestbuy Elite+ member, I reached out to the dedicated team and expressed my issue with the product and the way Netgear has handled the situation.  Explained the product is no longer able to function as advertised without a dedicated monitor.  They were not willing to provide me with a refund exception.  It was suggested that I take the product to a local store, speak with the manager and request a refund exception.  I will probably see if this produces any results, even if it's store credit.

If the way Netgear has handled the concerns/complaints so far is any indication of how the new blowback will be handled, we should explore all potential options.  Netgear will likely sit on their hands until they're forced to do something.

PBJ918
Tutor
Tutor
I purchased and Arlo Q and Arlo Q Plus based on this response:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Baby/Arlo-Baby-Touchscreen-multiple-cameras/m-p/1297028/highli...
I intended to purchase the Arlo Baby with the display as soon as it was released because it would have served dual functions and fill a void in the home surveillance market. My Arlo Q’s are almost as bad as the Arlo Baby, too.
Elijahsupper
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ive noticed that the NetGear is offering money off to put towards an amazon fire tablet for those who have Baby Moniotr.  My question is can this camera connect directly to the this tablet rather than an iPad using the Bluetooth? Or rather is this an offer for those who bought the camera who were expecting the dedicated display? 

As we prepare for our second baby I was looking at getting there cameras for our kids rooms but we like the idea of a dedicated monitor. When we travel and we stay in a hotel to where the kids allways have their space to sleep & we always bring our current monitor for obvious reasons.  

Something tells me this will not be as easy to hook up when we travel do to probably having the cameras MAC number needing to be added for our short time there. Has anyone explored this traveling? 

Thanks in Advance. 

farrellw
Star
Star

It's all wifi based.  When you travel you would need to setup your camera again.  Once thats complete it works fine. 

the coupon is striuctly for a tablet that you can use their app on.  This will not allow a direct connect as they have completely taken that off the table.

rader
Guide
Guide

Plus one on necessary legal action.  I purchased baby based on the promise of functionality that is no longer intended to be delivered.  Further, I committed to an entire Arlo ecosystem for cameras based on this same information.  Netgear needs to step up and at a MINIMUM provide a fulll refund for the original Arlo Baby purchase.  

Thomaswgoodwin
Star
Star

My case has now been "resolved" in the eyes of Netgear. Now that they have made their stance clear, it is time to take further action.

Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 11.58.09 AM.png

neo1981
Star
Star

I just found out as well that Arlo Baby won't be releasing a stand-alone monitor anymore. The only reason why I bought a not-so-well reviewed camera on Amazon was so that I'd have the option of using the camera via the iphone app AND the monitor w/o an internet connection. 

And, of course, now the camera is out of the return window at Amazon and Netgear won't take it back. 

If I had known that the stand-alone monitor isn't happening, I would've never bought this thing in the first place. 

Netgear - I am more than happy to send the camera back for a full refund. 

Thanks everyone for putting your feedback here! It's good to know that it's not only me who feels deceived by this entire episode.  

CNH
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I've decided to accept the Kindle Fire HD rebate option as my wife and I really need an external monitor and are tired of waiting. As indicated in the announcent, I contacted support to apply for the rebate and after a week of waiting, I get a response that the offer doesn't extend to Canadians and instead I am offered a stand or skin (neither of which are of any use to us). No where in the announcement does it mention that the offer is limited to US citizens. There is no Canadian Arlo Community, so this Community is the source of truth for product updates. I understand that the offer is limited to Amazon.com (not .ca). I have an Amazon.com account and buy from them frequently. So what's the excuse now?

Really disappointed with the decline in Arlo support and customer engagement. 

TwinCitiesJHawk
Apprentice
Apprentice

Count me in on taking further action.  months of calls to customer service with no resolution on a horrible baby camera.  disconnections and lag issues every day.  

mwittkopp89
Tutor
Tutor

Last ThursdayI became a scab.  Amazon had a sale on the Kindle Fire HD 8 - 16 GB, $20 off so I caved and called customer service and received by $30 coupon (which I think is more of a gift card).  I didn't have the time to sit around and see if this ever gets resolved and I wasn't going to buy a new camera.  I also needed a new tablet as my only other tablet was from 2013 - Google Nexus 7.  Anyways, $30 off the already reduced price on Thursday got me a table for about ~$31 including tax.  Not a bad price to pay.  The monitor works great, with about a 2 second delay in my house which is the same as I have on my phone.  Its a decent solution for me.  

I purchased the camera with the expectation that I would be using in a house that has Wifi.  If I travel I am either at a hotel where it would be stupid and unnecessary to use the camera or I am at a friend or families house and I can use their WiFi.  I don't travel to the moutains or in areas without the internet.  

Anyways, it worked for me! 

nielmatt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo team- I have reached out to customer service to recieve the code and they do not know what I'm talking about. Very frustrating.

UpsetCustomer99
Guide
Guide

It appears Netgear is now removing entire posts.  Have you proceeded with legal action?  I would like to join.