Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Baby Status Light and Night Light Randomly Turning On

Discussion stats
mservidio
Tutor
Tutor

The Arlo Baby Status Light and Night Light have been randomly turning on the past few evenings. I think this started occuring since the latest iOS app and potential firmware upgrade on the Arlo Baby cameras. Passwords I'm resetting now.

There should be a 2FA authentication for accessing cameras and also an ability to see which users/locations/devices logged in to view the cameras on Arlo. I'm highly doubtful that someone hacked in, but either way it's extremely creepy.

65 REPLIES 65
Ellie84
Initiate
Initiate
This is literally less than no help. I definitely have the lamp icon off every time I log in, and I expect so does everyone else asking - the issue is that whenever the baby monitor reboots, it turns the night light on, and this wakes our babies.

Can you set the default so that it won’t do that? Or do we need to return the camera and buy one without these “features”?
cnnn
Aspirant
Aspirant

The firmware is latest. But it doesn’t really matter. Over the past 12+ month the bug is always there, no matter how many times the firmware is updated. The bug is in every firmware.

If any Arlo engineer really knows and wants to fix the bug, just grab any unit and try

to reproduce the issue.

ICTN
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the same issue - blue flashing light in the middle of the night numerous times despite led being set as disabled. How can this be fixed? It’s totally unacceptable for a baby product
gllntrvs
Aspirant
Aspirant

What a nightmare! Who designs a baby camera that spontaneously flashes lights in a baby's face? We might need to return this camera and go back to the drawing board. 

gllntrvs
Aspirant
Aspirant

Rather than suggesting rebooting, etc, I think it would be more helpful if you could direct the sleep deprived parents in this forum on how to disable all lights on the camera. I don't have tinfoil over the windows of our nursery because light HELPS my baby sleep. Give it to us straight: is there a way to disable these lights or no? 

cnnn
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi all,

I have an old school workaround for this. Grab an Apple sticker that comes with your Apple product. Cut it to stripes of 6mm wide. Paint it with black pens and stick two or three layers of the strips, then put it on the LED at the bunny chin. You might two set of the strips to avoid light leaks. 

So far it works ok with small light leaks faint enough for my son to notice, when that purple LED occasionally lights up. Hope this help some parents and also bring some shame to Arlo.

gllntrvs
Aspirant
Aspirant

@cnnn Ha! Thank you, looks like that's what we'll do. 

svendenhowser
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’m having the same issue, bright (and I mean bright enough to illuminate an entire freaking room!!) blue flashing light, right over my baby’s cot at random intervals all night. It’s been happening for months and months, firmware updates do nothing. No issues with wifi or quality of connection, only a few metres from router. Useless, worse than useless.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

AJM1987
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for how to get the blue LED to turn off on the Arlo Baby? I have already turned everything off in settings but it still lights up. Obviously when one has a sleeping baby, it's not ideal to have a blue light coming on!

Cheers,

AJ

KristenE
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same happening with ours, I’ve turned off the LED light in setting but it still happens. Really damn annoying when we’re trying to get our toddler to settle and the stupid blue light starts flashing!! How do we turn this off???
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Maybe try putting a bit of black electrical tape over the LEDs?  Easily replaced if you need to resync the camera, and doesn't depend on software settings to work.

Mhoffert724
Aspirant
Aspirant
But why even have the LED light on it in the first place? And WHY are you doing updates in the middle of the night?? Babies typically sleep at night. Can’t you do they in the middle of the day when the bright blue light won’t bother them. And it’s not because there isn’t internet. My monitor has been in the same spot and the internet is fine and it still does it.
Mhoffert724
Aspirant
Aspirant
Why does it even have the led in the first place!!! It’s beyond annoying. It’s a baby monitor, have some sense and realize if there is a flashing light in the middle of the night it’s gonna wake the kid up. Let me guess a man created this??
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Mhoffert724 wrote:
...Let me guess a man created this??

Likely...

One option is to get some black electrical tape and put it over the LED.  That will eliminate any possibility of it blinking. Not elegant, but it will work.

FWIW, I suggest electrical tape because

• it is usually pretty thick, so it is good at blocking light
  • it is easily removed

Not because there's any need for electrical insulation.

user4404
Initiate
Initiate

This is not really a request for help rather an upset customer. Whoever thought it would be a good idea to put an incredibly bright status LED on the front of a baby camera and then push firmware updates in the middle of the night should be punished by having to sleep with an Arlo Baby camera above them for the next ten years so they too can be woken up in the middle of the night like my baby to a bright light shining down on them. Yes, I have turned off the led status light in the device settings... no, it doesn't matter when either the wifi gets disconnected or the firware is updated. This is quite possibly one of the silliest designs I have ever seen. 

Checkerhead
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the heads up! I'll be putting a little black insulation tape over that LED.

Archer666
Guide
Guide

Ive done the same and i believe it was actually a suggestion from an Arlo rep on these forums... but its kind of ridiculous that covering it black electrical tape is the "solution"

SE25
Aspirant
Aspirant
This is one of the most infuriating things ever.

I’ve just spent two hours soothing my baby who is going through a mega sleep regression. I would’ve been asleep an hour ago (3am) if it wasn’t for the stupid LED light shining down on an almost asleep baby. I was so close to grabbing the camera and smashing it into the wall at that point.

ARLO PLEASE ACTUALLY ADDRESS THIS.

I should not have to put black electrical tape on a very expensive baby monitor. It is the most flawed design ever. Did the product designers not have children or consult those that do? And did ever think what would it be like to sleep with a bright light flashing in your face?

Yes I have the device led section switched off, no it doesn’t make a difference to the wifi connecting led.
I’m not sure if it’s the WiFi or the device but I could honestly care less. If it needs to connect in the middle of the night, fine with me, but don’t wake illuminate the entire room in the process.
Sort it out Arlo. I am one angry Mum this morning at 4am. And I don’t think I’m the only one tempted to throw Arlo in the bin right now.
Danatman
Aspirant
Aspirant
We had this too. Night light and white noise via the Arlo baby and when it dropped the connection (for no good reason as all other internet services working fine) the white noise stopped and night light flashing like a **bleep** disco! No surprise baby awake. NOT HAPPY. Please provide a firmware update with defaults for active functions to continue when connection lost. I’m sure there’s enough RAM to store the embedded sound tracks. Loss of streaming content is plainly understandable. If the battery has enough power it should keep doing what it was doing. This is IMPORTANT to consumers of this device!
jume28
Aspirant
Aspirant

I also have the problem which I think may be the reason why my baby wakes up so many times during the night !

I will be putting some tapes as soon as I get home ... it's pretty unthoughtful on behalf of Arlo.

Rcoles
Aspirant
Aspirant
If the baby monitor loses connection with the internet (as it does often), please, for everything that is holy, allow us to disable the blinking status light. As new parents, we are desperate for sleep so it in incredibly counterproductive if a baby monitor actually wakes the baby up rather than doing its job of reassuring us they are asleep.

I spoke with the support team about this and they said it is to alert you that it has lost signal as soon as possible - which literally doesn’t work because you aren’t in the same room as the baby/monitor and you won’t know it’s blinking- unless of course your baby is screaming their head off because a blinking light is going off in their face- then you know the camera is disconnected.

Please, for the parents out here struggling, turn this feature off. Change it to a notification on the app/phone which the parent will actually have rather than alerting a 6 month old that the camera is disconnected.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Agree... In mean while, a small piece of electrical black tape will do what you want

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Joe-Italia
Guide
Guide

Arlo Baby is a baby product which startles my kid. I have contacted support which felt more like being ignored making me do unnecessary work then confirming that when selecting the "Status LED = Off" in the menu should not have the purple flashing LED.... this is very repeatable and easy to test for you guys at Arlo.. Just unplug your router and you will see the status LED flashing even though you set it to off... 

Someone needs to implement a firmware revision to allow us to disable all lights (have a submenu toggle if you wish for error lights for those who want to have it) but ultimately I don't want to have any LED come on at any time while this device is in use at night. Please fix and I encourage other parents to follow up with this thread and ensure we get this fixed. Ultimately contacting the BBB Better Business Bureau should this issue be ignored. This is a baby product and in no way should a baby be woken up or startled by your product... This is intolerable!!!! Needless to say the tech support I contacted has a hard time understanding this basic product! Disappointed.

Joe-Italia
Guide
Guide

Arlo Baby is a baby product which startles my kid. I have contacted support which felt more like being ignored making me do unnecessary work then confirming that when selecting the "Status LED = Off" in the menu should not have the purple flashing LED.... this is very repeatable and easy to test for you guys at Arlo.. Just unplug your router and you will see the status LED flashing even though you set it to off... 

Someone needs to implement a firmware revision to allow us to disable all lights (have a submenu toggle if you wish for error lights for those who want to have it) but ultimately I don't want to have any LED come on at any time while this device is in use at night. Please fix and I encourage other parents to follow up with this thread and ensure we get this fixed. Ultimately contacting the BBB Better Business Bureau should this issue be ignored. This is a baby product and in no way should a baby be woken up or startled by your product,,, This is intolerable!!!! Needless to say the tech support I contacted has a hard time understanding this basic product! Disappointed.