Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 25 Replies
  • 43 Likes
  • 12 In Conversation
Yoinked
Guide
Guide

A few issues:

1. The volume control for the Speaker under Audio Settings - Speaker Volume within the iOS app doesn't actually update the volume. Push to Talk remains at a default loud volume despite the setting's value.

Does anyone have a workaround for this?

2. The vertical volume control slider for the Music is functional but tedious to use because the slider is so small, the hit area is basically the size of your finger/thumb, which makes the precision a nightmare to use. Try setting it to 5% volume. It's damn near impossible. Please redesign this to use a significantly larger vertical slider, or alternatively use a horizontal slider which fills the screen width.

25 REPLIES 25
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Yoinked,

When you say it doesn't update the volume is the slider not remaining where it was set or are you saying the volume is the same regardless of what value you have the slider set to?

JamesC

ChappyFinn
Initiate
Initiate
I notice the same issue where the beginning of a sound clip will be start at one volume and then after a few seconds will lower volume on its own. When on a loop this happens repeatedly. This only started lately like in the other thread where audio tracks don’t save to the list.
Yoinked
Guide
Guide

The volume slider moves and remains where you leave it, however the speaker's output volume level remains unchanged. The slider effectively doesn't do what it's supposed to do. I can't find any way to adjust the volume of push to talk (which remains too loud, even when whispering).

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Yoinked,

If you log in to the web client using a computer and change the setting from there, do you experience the same behavior? Does it actually adjust the volume?

JamesC

Fromage_DimSum
Initiate
Initiate

Hi Arlo Community,

I have the same problem as referred in the following post "Arlo Baby Sound And Volume" dated August 15th 2018 :

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Baby/Arlo-Baby-Sound-and-Volume/td-p/1624392

User Story: As a caring father, I want to be able to talk to my baby, located in its bedroom while I'm in a remote room of my place (the kitchen, which is just the next room from my baby room), so as to comfort and calm her down while my wife is on her way to give her milk.

Issue : 

Whatever speaker level I set, the effective volume of the Arlo Baby speaker won't change

How to Reproduce the issue :

I log in to the Arlo Baby App using an iOS device or the Arlo web platform, I select my device, I go to the Device settings, then in Audio settings. 

The Microphone and Speaker switches are on (green). I move the Speaker volume from 100% to 33%. The sliding bar moves from 100% to 33%

I go back to the Real Time control of the device, click the microphone icon to extend the speaking push-to-talk button, I press the push-to-talk button, and speak. The Arlo Baby speaker volume won't have a different volume level.

Note :

When I come back to the Audio Settings, the volume bar is at 33%

Whatever starting volume level and target volume level I try to achieve (including 0%) does not change the issue

Issue is the same either using the iOS app or the web app on the arlo website

Device version :

I'm using HW ver. 6 and Firmware version 1.9.3.0_791 (following the FW upgrade that occured upon first use)

Equipment just got purchased and delivered through Amazon FR (only listed official retailer in France)

Issue conditions :

Live streaming works well at 1080p, but the device is set at 480p

Wifi near the Arlo Baby works well with a 52Mbps internet downstream and 35Mbps upstream with low latency (4ms from major local internet hubs) tested on an iOS device

Arlo Baby has 100% battery level and is connected to the power adapter

All devices are on the same wifi and ethernet network

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Fromage_DimSum

Have you tried to reboot your camera & test again?  Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

WorldCup82
Tutor
Tutor
Any update to this? I’m having the same issue...
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @WorldCup82

Can you provide some details regarding the issue you are experiencing?

WorldCup82
Tutor
Tutor
When I use the voice to talk command... I press the button, and then talk... but I can’t control the volume that comes out of the Arlo.. it’s way too loud!! Anyone??
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@WorldCup82

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

WorldCup82
Tutor
Tutor
Support was no help. They told me this is standard behavior and then tried to get me to reboot my camera. Why am I rebooting it if it’s standard behavior?
numb15
Apprentice
Apprentice

The volume on the Arlo baby monitor is responsive to the vertical volume slider in the app which is used to play the lullabies.

However, I have not been able to find a way to adjust the volume for the intercom function. I can't talk to my baby from the app to the monitor, the default volume on the monitor is way too loud and would startle him. This is a glaring oversight by Arlo that needs to be fixed.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @numb15

Have you tried to use the music/lullaby vertical slider to adjust the volume for the push to talk feature?

Claybro
Initiate
Initiate
Same issue, the push to talk button results in max volume output, regardless of the volume set in the app. Android/iPhone both.
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Same. Bloody stupid. Without volume control it can’t be used as it scares the living  out of the baby you’re trying to talk to as it’s so loud. Arlo Support. Please advise when this will be fixed!!!

Retired_Member
Not applicable
Hi. Please advise when this is going to be fixed. Desperately need it!
Retired_Member
Not applicable
PS. Yes have tried the lullaby slider and also device-settings- audio settings - volume and no change. Have it set to 1% and still talk to baby volume comes out at 100%
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Retired_Member

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. I will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hello,

The Arlo development team is still investigating reports on this issue, I will provide an update as soon as possible.

nick24w
Initiate
Initiate
Has there been an update for the push to talk volume yet? I just got this monitor and even if the volume is 0, whether it’s set online on in the app it, the sound comes out as if it’s set to 100.

The volume stays where it’s set at and doesn’t go back to a previous setting. I know this thing isn’t broke.

Other threads keep saying an update is coming going back to January 2020 at a minimum and I seen a thread about this from 2018 yet nothing has been done. That is pathetic, I am a software developer/programmer and this shouldn’t be that hard to fix.
numb15
Apprentice
Apprentice
The volume slider you see is for the volume of the music. I agree it’s real bad that the volume of the speaker can’t be adjusted. I usually hold my phone at arm’s length and whisper in to it if I don’t want to startle the baby. Shame because everything else about the camera is good
JonnyRoger
Initiate
Initiate
Hi all
Just though I'd warn any potential buyers that the push to talk feature on the Arlo Baby is deeply flawed and broken. It allows you to talk to your baby from the app. But there is no way to control the volume so you end up shouting at your baby on full volume. When I discussed this with customer support, their solution was to hold the phone away from my mouth so I don't come out so loud! This is an advertised feature that is unusable and miss sold in my opinion. When I mentioned that I would like to raise a complaint I was immediately disconnected by the operator. This happened twice. On researching this issue I have found that they have been aware of this issue since 2018 and not done anything about it. This is sold as a premium product, and yet they obviously treat their customers with distain and disrespect as I have been.
numb15
Apprentice
Apprentice

I raised this months ago, you have to end up whispering, it’s ridiculous 

Discussion stats
  • 25 Replies
  • 43 Likes
  • 12 In Conversation