Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Baby - Radiation Emissions

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
SunnysDad
Tutor
Tutor
I own and use an Arlo Baby monitor since my newborn child was born 5 months ago. Yesterday I was sent an article about the concerning amount of radiation that is emitted from wifi baby monitors. You can find the article here (https://www.gentlenursery.com/natural-baby-registry-guide/low-emission-baby-monitors/) which states that radiation from baby monitors can cause: -Impacts on brain development -Sleep cycle disruption -Impact on immune system -Impact on reproductive system This morning I contacted Arlo customer service to ask if they can confirm the radiation levels of the Arlo Baby monitor. The customer service representative was able to confirm that the monitor does, in fact, emit radiation but was not able to confirm what levels. Are you serious?!? To provide a device that is designed to sit above your newborn child's head while sleeping, that not only monitors their activity but also the air quality and humidity in the room... to now find out that this device is actually emitting radiation, and the company can't even confirm whether or not the levels of radiation are harmful??? I am beyond disappointed that a company would feel comfortable putting a product like this intended for infants into the market. I have stopped using our Arlo Baby and am writing this for the sake of the other parents that are also likely unaware of this issue.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SunnysDad
Tutor
Tutor

Hey Everyone, I am happy to report that the Arlo team followed up with me and provided their report on their radiation emissions which confirms that the Arlo Baby meets all radiation safety standards. Phew! My constructive feedback would be to make this more available on their website and educate their customer services reps on this so no one else has to go through this experience. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Not to imply your info is wrong...

You have to do what you feel is right to you.

All wifi units like your home wifi router emits radiation... in the 2.4g/5g band

Any product in the home that links to your wifi also does emit , including these days phones, tv's , some refrigerators, etc

It is almost impossible to get away from it.

I noticed that the distance in article is based on 3 ft.

I checked mine and found the distance to the crib is aprox 7 ft ( I use the zoom feature when needed )

Also , if correct, max output in the US, re the FCC, of a wifi/2.4g device is 1w max.

Checked the ARRL site and they have good info on radition levels allowed for exposure...

http://www.arrl.org/rf-radiation-and-electromagnetic-field-safety

Also a calulator with info to same ( as require for transmitter antennas in near space to people )

Levels noted with max output and omni( non directional ) antenna seem to be low. ( 6 ft use in calc )

( if I did the calc correctly )

Capture.JPG

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
SunnysDad
Tutor
Tutor

TomMac, 

I really appreciate you providing the additional information. This is very helpful and is something that Arlo should be much more upfront about. 

It is still concerning to me that Arlo does not provide this information anywhere on their site and that they were not even able to confirm radiation levels when I called their customer service. This is a (premium) device specifically designed for monitoring an infant. There should be no excuse for not providing this information.

I am certainly relieved that these radiation concerns may not be as serious as the original article described. That said, I still intend to return the product, especially since they can't even verify how much radiation it's emitting.

Thanks again for the quick and helpful response. 

SunnysDad
Tutor
Tutor

Hey Everyone, I am happy to report that the Arlo team followed up with me and provided their report on their radiation emissions which confirms that the Arlo Baby meets all radiation safety standards. Phew! My constructive feedback would be to make this more available on their website and educate their customer services reps on this so no one else has to go through this experience. 

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation