Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Receiving 5 Minute Recordings With Doorbell

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
Terminal3
Apprentice
Apprentice

Finally got  a chance to try and use the doorbeel feature today.  Normally it's just delivery drivers pushing the button and walking away.  Today I had a Fed-X driver ring the doorbell and I tap the Arlo link in the IOS phone display  and the app opens and I see him walking away carrying the package.  I try to talk he keeps walking.  I watch him go to truck and then he comes back.

He is leaving a ticket he apparently wants a signature for what he is delivering.  I again try to talk to him and either he ignores me or can't hear.  After he drives away I tap end.  I then go back and want to watch the video of what I witness to see if I could hear anything from the speaker in the video.  It recorded none of what I witnessed with the app open. 

There is a recoding of him coming up on the doorstep and he then just knocks on door and waits after 15 or so seconds he pushes the doorbell.  The recording ends slightly after this.  I have it set to record 30 seconds because if I set it to record on motion I always get 5 minute recordings and these long recordings drain my battery pretty quick.

10 REPLIES 10
Terminal3
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have to edit this as there was a recording.  I assumed it would be listed as a front door camera recoding but there was nothing listed.  I had to go to the library and click the x next to the front door filter and then I got an extra recoding from the doorbell.  I can hear myself speaking to the guy in the recording.  In the recording it is loud and clear but he did not react so I don't think he could hear it.

As an aside is there anything I can click to just look at accepted call recordings from the doorbell.

Louis_ArloPM
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi, can you clarify the ask?

If you want to filter just on videos from the doorbell, you can filter all videos on recordings from the camera paired to your doorbell.

go to 'library' -> 'filter' - 'devices' -> *pick the camera paired with your doorbell' -> click back on 'filter' -> select 'done' and all your videos related to the front door and doorbells will show all videos. 

Terminal3
Apprentice
Apprentice
@Louis_ArloPM wrote:

Hi, can you clarify the ask?

If you want to filter just on videos from the doorbell, you can filter all videos on recordings from the camera paired to your doorbell.

go to 'library' -> 'filter' - 'devices' -> *pick the camera paired with your doorbell' -> click back on 'filter' -> select 'done' and all your videos related to the front door and doorbells will show all videos. 

That is what I thought, but it is not the case.  The videos captured when motion is activated at the doorbell have always showed up under the front door camera.  That is the camera that I had linked to the doorbell.  This morning after connecting to the camera from the phone call I got from the app, I wanted to go back and watch the interaction and try to hear if any thing was being broadcast from the doorbell speaker.  When I clicked the front door camera it showed no video available.during the time of the interaction, so I assumed it recorded nothing.

I usually look at the camera videos with a web browser and I click the link that takes me to the videos for the camera I want to view, this in turns filters all videos for that device, as you suggest.     I now realize I have to click the library link and then filter for just accepted videos if I want to see what happened during the interaction.  It seems more intuitive that this video would show up for the camera that recorded it.

Terminal3
Apprentice
Apprentice

So it turns out the thing could be useful if the anyone could hear me talking.  The main problem is the volume on the door bell is just too low. The same delivery guy came again today and this time I was able to hear what he heard. 

Yesterday I removed the setup to record video on the front door camera when the doorbell sensed motion, apparently that is unnecessary.  At least in my case as the camera sensor and doorbell sensor cover the same area.  The doorbell and Front door camera are still paired but the camera only record video when it senses motion,  

Today I had two videos of the same event.  One as recoded from the Front door camera based on it sensing motion, and another listed as an "Accepted" call recorded from that same camera.  This video was from the time I accepted the call on my phone after he pushed the doorbell.  In the accepted video I can hear myself great, but it appears that is a direct audio recording as you speak and not what you actually hear at the front door.  In the video recorded by the camera from sensing motion I could barely hear me talking it was really low.  I don't know if the guy is hard of hearing or wearing headphones, he had long hair so maybe he was.  But he did not react to anything I said.

billworrell
Aspirant
Aspirant

I agree.  This product is useless.

fordhamg
Guide
Guide

I have an Arlo camera and doorbell.  If someone walks in front of my camera, it records for however long they are in front of it (per the setting).  However if someone rings the door bell, it records for 5 mins and 5 seconds every time, even if the person leaves after 5 seconds.  Any ideas?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What is the doorbell setting for recording? Have you tried a timed recording?

fordhamg
Guide
Guide

Setting is "Record until activity stops (up to 300 sec)".  So it's recording the entire 300 seconds (5 minutes), even if there isn't activity.  I haven't tried a fixed length of time, but I will.  However this clearly isn't how this is supposed to work.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @fordhamg

Due to the amount of issues described I have opened a case for you. I will contact you via private message with further information.

Dbensette
Luminary
Luminary

Hi @Louis_ArloPM

Did anyone ever find a solution for this? My doorbell is still doing the 5 minute recordings even 8 months after opening a support case with Arlo...

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation