Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
jharj
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have tried setting up the Arlo Doorbell to my existing connections.  Like other users have stated, there's a constant buzzing on 1 and 3 with nothing on 2.  The solutions I've seen on here indicate a Traditional Chime toggle switch in the settings for the doorbell, which I do not have on my app. 

Under customize, I only have the Silent Mode option.  When that is active I get the Incoming Call option. 

Nothing I do brings up the Traditional Chime option. 

If I enter the device settings, the first section only has Battery, Connected To, and Device info.  No Traditional Chime option there either. 

Is there something I'm missing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This issue should be resolved with the latest firmware release for the Arlo Audio Doorbell.

Please take a look at the release notes here and let us know if you still experience this issue.

Arlo Audio Doorbell - 1.2.0.0_309_283 – 8th August 2019

JamesC

View solution in original post

155 REPLIES 155
MBISHS
Guide
Guide

I cannot get the mechanical chime to work with my Arlo Doorbell.  I've read posts on how to fix it.  But the feature to fix it doesn't exist on my app:

Steps to fix that i found on other Community Chat Sessions (Message 13 of 32 ... thank you Vlaming):

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Audio-Doorbell/Arlo-Doorbell-chime-does-not-work/m-p/1656836

• Put the switch at #2
  • Go to Settings, My Devices, Doorbell,
  • Look for Traditional Chime and see if setting is set to Disconnect.

The issue is that the Traditional Chime Option is not even showing up on my Arlo app.  I am ready to to return this product.  At best, Arlo is glitchy.  Sooooo frustrated.

Blank Save.jpg

MBISHS
Guide
Guide

I am having the same issue.  I posted the same question on a different thread.

Blank Save.jpg

SteveArnold
Apprentice
Apprentice

I’m pretty sure I had the same issue when I first added and setup my doorbell.    I couldn’t get it to work with my my regular house doorbell.    I did have the switch set on 2 for traditional doorbell.     After the initial add of the doorbell in the app it didn’t show the traditional doorbell.    But I think after I went back to devices and settings on the doorbell that do8ng the setup the second time it then started to see the traditional doorbell and then it started to work.   A few months ago I deleted and then re-added the doorbell multiple time and each time the device settings would not show it as a traditional doorbell until I went back into the device settings for it

beninseattle
Initiate
Initiate

So, I recently received the Arlo Audio doorbell to use in conjunction with my 2 camera Pro 2 system. I was able to get the doorbell physically installed without issue. I was also able to connect it to the base station with little issue. I am still unable, however, to get it to trigger my mechanical doorbell whenever the button is pushed. I have been pouring over the help articles to see if I can find some help and I have narrowed it down to a setting that I cannot seem to get past. 

Leaving the switch on the doorbell in anything other than the "2" position gets me a light buzzing in my chimebox that I have heard other people with mechanical doorbells mention hearing when putting it on a digital chimebox setting. So, the switch is in the correct position. 

When I log in to My Arlo on my laptop, I can navigate to Doorbell > Settings > Traditional Chime. When I go here, the "Traditional Chime" setting is marked as "Disconnected." I don't have any option or changeable status here. It is permanently stuck in "Disconnected." Is there any way to change this setting?

BK_Gor
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’m having the same problem with my My Model: AAD1001. I cannot get my Traditional chime to ring. The traditional chime only rings when I attach the cover on the doorbell. When I push the button only the Arlo Chime rings. The trad chime just constantly buzzes. Neither settings 2 or 3 work.
Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hey guys - I am in desperate need of help here and am assuming I won’t get it from Netgear.... just called their tech support to pointlessly take steps I’d already done 10 times to be told my system is working like it is intended??? I bought his whole system 2.5 months ago and it has literally gotten perpetually worse with firmware and software updates since purchase. It’s most likely all going back to Costco. Anyways, extremely disappointed with Netgear overall - but I digress....

The issue is with the doorbell... it continues to “lose” pairing with the Arlo Pro 2 camera and the chime It’s paired to.... it works fine for like a day after I completely remove and re sync both devices - and then suddenly I no longer get calls... when I got into the iOS or a windows web app both devices appear there and show their signal strength (full) - however the doorbell no longer shows the pairing with the camera or chime in Device Settings (and the whole area where it shows the paired devices normally is literally missing).... and the Chime no longer shows the pairing with the Doorbell - and if I click “add doorbell” my doorbell does not show up in the list....

The only way to fix this is to completely remove both devices - and the hard reset the doorbell (hold sync button 10+ seconds)... then it usually takes forever to pair the doorbell back. I’ve literally done this 4 times in the last week. I had no issue with this until the recent update - around the same time video quality was severely decreased which everyone is complaining about...

I have also completely reset my ENTIRE 5 camera, 4 lights, doorbell, and chime system last week. It was a huge PIA and did nothing to solve this numerous little glitches with this system.

Most of the little glitches I can deal with - but this system gets returned if I can’t resolve this Doorbell pairing Issue... that and Netgear forcing out an update that degrades the 1080P video quality so bad that the cameras look worse than the 720P Arlo units?? Netgear is about to lose me as a customer - after buying a lifetime of expensive routers and other devices from them.

PLEASE HELP if you know a resolution!

Mitch
DHarlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Exact same problem. The traditional chime option does not appear anymore while it did before. This happened while I changed base station and went from a VMB3010r2 to a VMB4000r3.

i went back to the old one and option did not come back.  

Similar problem reported by Beninseattle user yesterday.

very disappointed.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

FWIW, I find it's there on the web but not in the Android app.

Dbensette
Luminary
Luminary
Same here, since last update, my pro 2 camera is no longer paired to my doorbell.

Can’t even add it again as the options don’t show up to pair a camera to the doorbell anymore.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you rebooted the phone and reinstaled the app? Have you tried a browser?

Dbensette
Luminary
Luminary
Yes, tried both. Browser doesn’t show the option for pairing a camera either.

Dbensette
Luminary
Luminary
Noticed that even when I turn on “silent mode” the more advanced options don’t show anymore. I used to be able to turn off the traditional chime but have my arlo chime still work.

MBISHS
Guide
Guide

I have the same issue.  I can see the "Traditional Chime" setting if I log into my computer.  Though I cannot toggle it.  Only on the app you can toggle. But it is not showing up on the app!!!!!

MBISHS
Guide
Guide

Thank you for your reply.  Yes, I have toggled the switch to setting two.  I have installed and uninstalled and installed at least 20 + times.  No luck.  

MBISHS
Guide
Guide

FYI - the workaround that I did is to link it to Alexa.  So now, when someone presses the doorbell, it rings through Alexa.  Not ideal, but it is a workaround for now.  I still want to figure out how to connect it to the chimes.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @beninseattle,

Make sure that your existing chime is a mechanical/electronic doorbell and is operating at a voltage between 8-24 volts AC. Do know that it is not compatible with wireless door chimes or any chime or intercom system using a DC transformer.

You can also check this article out to make sure you have set up your existing chime properly: How do I set up my Arlo Audio Doorbell to trigger my existing chime?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Dbensette

Do you have a screenshot of the missing features?

Dbensette
Luminary
Luminary
Yes, it’s attached to my previous post
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Dbensette

Are you running IOS 12.3 & Arlo Mobile App 2.7.10?

Dbensette
Luminary
Luminary
iOS 12.3.1 and arlo 2.7.10...

All updated
Dbensette
Luminary
Luminary
Had the doorbell since launch day in Canada, when it works it’s great, but I hate that this is the third time it hasn’t been working correctly for a week at a time.

Every time it stopped working it was due to an update, I wish that I could turn off automatic updates when it is working correctly. Then I wouldn’t need to worry anymore.
Dbensette
Luminary
Luminary
This arlo system I added to my house has cost a lot of money for the amount of headaches I get along with it.

Also, the most recent update broke my geofence as well, I would have turned off auto updates as well when it was working if I had the option.

Being “security” software and hardware, it should be much more reliable than it has been with each update. Imagine how annoyed A customer would be to have the system fail due to an update when the system is needed the most...
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Dbensette

Have you tried to reinstall the App or remove > reinstall the chime? I was not able to replicate this issue with an Iphone running 12.3