Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

motokochan
Star
Star

Has anyone else had issues with the volume of the doorbell when using the two-way audio? The sound of the person at the door is quite clear and loud on the phone, but when you speak back to the person at the doorbell it's very quiet even at 95% volume.

I've been in contact with Arlo support, and was told the engineering team could reproduce the issue, but the lack of comments on here about this issue make me wonder if the unit I have is just defective and an exchange for a new one would be a good idea.

164 REPLIES 164
RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I called today for a replacement 1.3 hardware version. They asked for my CC info, said there would be a $2 hold placed until they receive the old 1.2 version back via the prepaid label. Seems reasonable.
rseward
Apprentice
Apprentice
I returned mine (to Amazon) some time ago. I’ll be holding out for ver. 2 to be released before I try it agains. Hopefully it will have the option to power the doorbell from an existing doorbell transformer. If not, then I’ll wait for ver. 3.
That’s a huge design flaw also in my opinion.
bowserb46
Apprentice
Apprentice

I called back to tech support after being told in a chat to ignore the RMA procedure I'd receive.  The call back got me to someone in the same location as the chat person I spoke with (I don't know exactly where that is, but it was evening here in Texas and morning where I spoke with tech support.)  I was told there would be a hold on my credit card equal to the price of the doorbell until the old one was returned, and if not returned in ten days, my credit card would be charged.

From what I've reading here, the 1.3 version of the doorbell should be the answer.  I hope so, as I've now got $174 plus tax tied up in this doorbell, and I'd kindof like the company to survive and provide future support and compatible products.  Otherwise, I'm sitting here with a new Betamax VCR!

Fingers crossed...I'll report back here if successful or not.

RickyJKroeger
Guide
Guide

During my phone call with Support, I asked the guy a few questions that led to him alluding that they are working on replacing Version 1.3 with Version 2.0. As I quizzed him on this pointedly, I got the definate feeling that Version 1.3 is just a stop-gap for their failed introduction of Version 1. It almost sounded like Version 2.0 may not be all that far off, so I asked him if them giving me a 1.3 replacement now would preclude me from getting a replacement in a Version 2, and if so maybe I should wait. His answer made it clear that we would need to buy Version 2 if we want it once it comes out. RING clearly has them beat. They need a wholesale re-do and are apparently working on it.

Dirtfisher
Star
Star
I spoke to a rep and they told me the new door bell is going to compete with ring and nest? So I’m assuming a camera with audio issues lol
RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I don't believe the (India based?) CS reps know with any certainty what the future is for hardware versions and policies for replacement. 

BarryDowling
Aspirant
Aspirant
No volume once I synced the camera. All firmware is up to date.
RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Received the 1.3 hardware replacement. Volume for the visitor at the doorbell is better, acceptable.
Dirtfisher
Star
Star
Can u post a video of 1.3 working?
Terminal3
Apprentice
Apprentice

I just called support and they want to remove the door bell bring it to the base station and remove and re-sync it and if all that doesn't fix it then she said they would replace it.  I am not at home, so I can't do any that right now so I guess I will have to jump through their hoops to get it fixed.   I may just tell them I did it.

Zweben
Tutor
Tutor

What phone number did you use?  I found one number but was on hold for over 30 minutes then hung up. 

Terminal3
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Zweben wrote:

What phone number did you use?  I found one number but was on hold for over 30 minutes then hung up. 

The one found here.  I initiated a chat session and after a few  minutes of waiting I also called and figured I would go with whichever picked up first.  I was only on hold for only a couple of minutes before I got a support agent.

bowserb46
Apprentice
Apprentice

Initially I used the chat, and that is where the tech asked many questions about the device, the setup, and everything else.  That tech concluded I needed the replacment (1.3) doorbell and was going to call back for credit card info to secure the return of the old one.  When I was a little unsure, I decided to call a couple hours later after I received the RMA instructions that the tech told me to ignore.  When I called the number on the website (1 (408) 638 3750), I got through in just a couple minutes (around 6pm central time U.S.)  The tech I spoke with there was apparently in the same office as the chat tech.  He checked with her and then finished the transaction, as she had been on another call.  Got the new doorbell in a couple days.  Packaged up the old one in the new box and retaped the outer packaging.  Attached the included return FedEx label and took it to my nearby Walgreens, which is also a FedEx drop.  As to wait times, I suspect it is time of day that matters.  Calling later US time might work better.  Our evening is their morning, so call in the evening and you get their "A-team".

Zweben
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks.  I just called and got through. They say they will replace it for me, but they are completely out of stock and have no idea when they will have more in.  I tried to get them to give me a time window, but they didn't know if it would be a day, a week, or a year.  They say they will call me when they get them in.  I'm not holding my breath.  Thanks again though.

Raambo
Guide
Guide
I also received version 1.3 and it is a big improvement over my other doorbell.. I would say that it is worth getting it replaced.
bowserb46
Apprentice
Apprentice

Amazon shows the doorbell in stock.  Think they're still shipping the version 1.2?  Hmmm.

Dirtfisher
Star
Star
So seen this today.. the pulled the 4K cameras but not the door bells?
schumaku
Master
Master

@Louis_ArloPM  please follow up the low Arlo Audio Doorbell speaker volume reports - for most deployments the speaker volume not sufficient by far. Hardware version 1.3 alone - we have some HW 1.3 Audio Doorbells deployed - can't be the answer, too.

---
Please click on thumbs up if this answer was useful - thank you!
Thetnduke
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have called yesterday and followed up today. They gave me the same info that they are out of stock. I will continue to hound them everyday until they get more in stock. My audio is horrible on my doorbell. 

bowserb46
Apprentice
Apprentice

I had a few tests of the 1.3 doorbell speaker volume now, a couple of which were when I had answered the door (as in I opened it to speak with the person there.)  The automatic announcement "To leave a message, press the doorbell again," is loud enough to interrupt a face to face conversation at the door.  One time, I did leave a message and eventually found where to play it back (Library).  The recording was sufficiently loud and clear to understand.

A second test was interrupted when my wife answered the "phone call" at work (I forgot to warn her I was testing again.)  Caught me a little by surprise, but then I remembered that both our phones ring when the doorbell is pressed.  We have an existing wired surveillance system with two cameras pointed at the front door.  When the doorbell called, she could see it was me.  In any case, we again could carry on a conversation with satisfactory volume at the doorbell.  Our street has fairly low through traffic, but at 6pm there are people arriving home from work.  One car did pass as we were speaking, and it did not interfere with my hearing.  I'm not sure if I'd have been as lucky if it had been one of the local hillbillies and their jacked up, loud muffler pickup trucks, though.

All in all, I'd have to say the system is OK.  I bought it just for the two-way doorbell.  I had been tempted to add an Arlo camera at the doorbell, but after reading the sync issues here, I think I'll stick with my existing cameras.  If I need to see a face, I can answer the phone and say, "Hey, please look up and to the right!"  Thanks to everyone who has contributed here, especially the breaking news about the 1.3 replacement with free shipping both ways.

MichaelJK
Aspirant
Aspirant

Should I return it or call in and ask for upgrade.

Sschochet1
Tutor
Tutor
You are not alone, I'm so disappointed in the doorbell, the volume is way too low, I hope they do something about it before I'm forced to nest or ring
RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Remobell S also looks very interesting.
PeacefulNinja
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same issue here as everyone else. The doorbell is so quiet that I never get a response from whomever rang it. At first, it was grandparents so I thought they might be hard of hearing. Then it was four different delivery people, each of them standing within 2 feet of the doorbell and not one could hear me. I tested it myself and the volume coming from any device though the doorbell speaker is so quiet that I need to have my ear practically touching the doorbell to hear it. Even the built in speaker in my Arlo pro cameras are louder. Such a shame that a company will put out an audio device that isn't loud enough to hear. Now I have a $80 doorbell that serves almost no purpose.
Mattlick12
Tutor
Tutor

After upgrading to hardware version 1.3, has anyone noticed that the motion detection is much more sensative? I switched my system trigger from the camera motion sensor to the doorbell motion sensor, because I seemed to get much fewer nusiance recordings due to lens flares, cars passing, etc. When I upgraded to version 1.3, I am seeing MANY more nusiance video recordings than even the camera itself. I also noticed a trend that was most noticable at night. I seem to be getting recordings that line up on the hour or every two hours. For example, every night this week I have recordings that happen at 12:22, 1:22, 3:22, 4:22 etc. I notice that sometimes it isn't every hour, but still lines up at the same minute (e.g. 1:44, 3:44, 5:44). I can't believe that the timing is a coincidence, given the repeatability. Anoyone else seeing a similar issue?