Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Wired doorbell Chime

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Micjam
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi there, 

I am getting my replacement transformer as the one that came with my Arlo wired doorbell is faulty. 

In the meantime i am having to source a new chime as my one is too old and doesn't have the power needed and would likely melt upon use 😆

I cannot find any chime that is between 8 volts and 24 volts as they only go up to 16V 

I have contacted Arlo and I just get told they don't make them which I already know but I was hoping like Ring (Im not a fan) they could provide a list of compatible chimes.

Im from the UK and a plug in Chime is not an option as I simply don't have enough sockets free. 

This is why I went for the wired Arlo.

Can anyone help? I don't really want to return it

Thanks 

Michael 

6 REPLIES 6
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Micjam wrote:

I cannot find any chime that is between 8 volts and 24 volts as they only go up to 16V 

FWIW, a mechanical chime is only drawing power for the brief time it is ringing, and the circuitry is very basic. So it likely is safe to use a 24v transformer with a 16v mechanical chime.  A digital chime has very different electronics, so don't go over the voltage spec with those.

But the AVD1001 needs a transformer between 16-24 volts.  So 16 volts should be ok as a replacement, unless you have a lot of loss in the wiring.

You could also exchange it for the AVD2001 "wire free" model.  It has a battery which is trickle-charged from the wiring, so it can be used with a wider range of voltages/power. It will work with an 8 volt transformer.

Micjam
Aspirant
Aspirant

I did look at the wire free one but decided to go with the wired one instead. 

I have a feeling of dread that this simply is not going to work and I will have to return it but at least it is simply because of a lack of compatible chimes and not because of my electrics in the house that was first thought when the transformer started to loudly buzz. 

I do think it is crazy that Arlo would sell a device without having any information on what works with it 

Anyway thanks for your reply 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Micjam wrote:

I do think it is crazy that Arlo would sell a device without having any information on what works with it 

FWIW, I agree they should have a compatibility list (and an incompatible list).

Micjam
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yeh I mean. It says it is compatible with the majority of chimes but when you look deeper there hardly any chimes like that 🤔
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Micjam wrote:
Yeh I mean. It says it is compatible with the majority of chimes but when you look deeper there hardly any chimes like that 🤔

It is compatible with the majority of chimes in the US.  I think there are fewer compatible chimes in Europe and Australia.

Where are you located?

Micjam
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm from the UK. I ended up buying another transformer and a compatible chime. Arlo really should include this type of transformer and not just one that's compatible with their plug in chime.

Thanks for your help 🙂
20220428_153148.jpg
Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation