Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
nuhatch
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ive has the audio doorbell since December or whenever it came out. Over the last three months, I’ve had issues with the battery life. The audio doorbell battery only last two weeks before I need to recharge AA battery. I’m using brand new Eneloop batteries. Even traded them out with same results. Any ideas on why it seems to be using unusual amounts of power?

10 REPLIES 10
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi nuhatch,

Make sure that your your Arlo Audio Doorbell signal strength is showing three to four bars to ensure it has a stable connection and to not drain the battery. You could try rebooting your Base Station to see if that can also help.

Otherwise, don't hesitate to contact the Support Team so they can look into this further. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

PeteInPerth2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Exact same problem - doorbell lasts about 2 weeks on a set of batteries 😞

DamianR
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi.
Your problem is almost certainly the type of battery..
The Arlo audio doorbell isndesigned tonwork with 'alkaline' primary (non-rechargeable) batteries.
These have a voltage when new of a bit over 1.5 volts each.
Rechargeable batteries, ofnthe Nickel-cadmium (old) and Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH, newer types) have a voltage of about 1.2 - 1.25 volts per cell. (Slightly higher when fresh off the charger). So, even fully charged, a set of 2 x rechargeables will be 2.5 Volts compared to 3.0.
Whrn nearly fkat, the recgargeables will be 2 x 1.1v = 2.2. The alkalines about 2 x 1.2 = 2.4.
So even fully charged your rechargeablesnwill appear tonthe doorbell lile a partially flat set of alkalines.
This is common to a lot of products.
Furthermore, the energy capacity of even the best NiMH cells is not as much as good alkalines.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

FWIW, I use akaline batteries in mine.  The current set has been in for some months now and the doorbell says it is 83% charged.  

PeteInPerth2
Aspirant
Aspirant
Great theory... Except I am using Alkaline batteries...
DamianR
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi Pete,
Your issue may be different.
My reply was describing the problem with rechargeable batts. The Eneloops are not normal alkaline batteries as required for the doorbell.
Have you perhaps measured the voltage of yours on the way in and out ?
Also, not all alkalines are the same. Try and use the ones meant for low drain, long life as opposed to the ones designed for high drain (camera/flash) use.
PeteInPerth2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Not sure what an 'Eneloop' is? Measure the voltage on the way in and out of what? The battery? I have tried a couple of types of Alkaline batteries. The current batteries I am using are supposed to have a twelve year shelf life.

DamianR
Apprentice
Apprentice
Measure before installing and again when taking them out. See if truly discharged.
The OPs Eneloops are a special type of rechargeable.
Shelf life does not have much to do with capacity btw.
Look for the ones that dont say for high drain devices. The common Duracell or Energizers are ok.
DamianR
Apprentice
Apprentice
Also, make sire its not getting a heap of false motion triggers. That will eat the batteries..
nuhatch
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for the advice. I checked my signal and triggers. The signal from base station is good, located about ten feet away inside. Yes, it’s a front door camera which has to point towards street so averages 120 triggers a day. Then, I tried different batteries. I went with NiMH from Amazonbasics. It worked! Now I’m changing every three months or so. Ultimately, I need to find someone to install a doorbell power line on my 120yr old house. But this will do for now. Thanks again!
Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation