Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Camera problems/limitations

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
Kiram
Follower
Follower
  • I had to post here in the Arlo community. Probably nothing will change but after spending so much money and deciding to go for Arlo cameras I had to try. 

There are many problems/limitations with the cameras that I wish I knew before I decided for Arlo.

I currently own 2 Arlo Pros, 2 Arlo Ultra, the Arlo baby camera, 3 solar power accessories, 2 Arlo doorbell cameras. 
After setting it all up and using them for more than a year:

- Cameras don’t work in cold weather (under -2). 
- Chargers keep loosing connection, specially in rainy or cold weather. 
- Solar power only works sometimes.

- Baby camera power connector broke and stopped working. 
- Doorbell video quality is horrible due to condensation on the lens.

And then I get to my real complaint which is the software:

Paying a high price for the low quality video (horrible 4K quality if it even is and all problems listed above), and then having to pay an extremely high subscription for a horrible software that: 

- Doesn’t let me record 4K unless I pay for the most expensive plan.

- Extremely limited security options, in which you either have to endure 24/7 annoying notifications or leave with almost no security as for ex you can’t mix geofencing (location) with with schedules. Or for ex not being able to show notifications only when an actual person is detected. 
- And don’t even get me started on if I’d like to choose a CVR plan. 18€ extra per camera a month. Should I really spend an extra 120€ a month for that? Is that worth it??

So I decided to try and bypass the software and just use Apples HomeKit Secure Video to record and manage my cameras as it’s included (indirectly) for free with iCloud+. Oh, guess what? It’s not supported! As “We value privacy and don’t share with other parties”, despite Apple being truly secure. Scared of loosing all those subscriptions I guess…

So I’ve decided to use the local storage option (for which I had to purchase a new hub of course as you can only save it on the microSD or USB, but of course I can’t save it locally on my NAS). 

But after irritating myself even more with the limitations I’ve decided to put all my cameras and accessories for sale on a huge loss. 

My last hope until I sell all that something will change!

1 REPLY 1
UserNameNo8ist
Aspirant
Aspirant

Nothing will change except a mass exodus of Arlo users finding sollutions that truly integrate with HomeKit. I can say that between the EOL issues and the lack of usability with HKSV, I'll never purchase an Arlo camera again and will be slowly replacing all of the current ones I have with cameras that do support HKSV. The app has already always frustrated the hell out of me with all the bugs and this latest BS is the last straw. I've gone from liking these cameras to hating this company.