Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Video feed

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
RobertD81
Follower
Follower

Hi All,

I’ve just set up my new doorbell and I live on a busy street. I’ve edited events to reduce the feed but doorbell (in devices) still records 20 seconds of video each time a person or car passes. How can I avoid this or set it so it doesn’t store all info to the cloud. Can I have a feed to a private base station or some other solution? Ideally I would like doorbell rings only to trigger during daytime and then video feed late night. The feed is reduced after tinkering with settings but the doorbell under devices still has all the instances recorded sometimes several in one minute. Can anyone advise who’s had this issue before? 

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Unfortunately, the Gen. 2 doorbell doesn't connect to a hub yet - a firmware update will be needed to fix that. Local recordings can't be used until that happens.

STart by reducing the motion sensitivity for the doorbell, typically in the camera settings under Default Mode Settings. I happen to use 45 but you will likely need to test.

Have you set up rules for Arm Home for the doorbell so it doesn't record during the day? You can then schedule mode switching using the schedule automation.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062777/About-Arlo-Routines-Modes-Rules-and-Automations

https://kb.arlo.com/000062942/How-do-I-add-a-Schedule-Automation-to-my-Arlo-system

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@RobertD81 wrote:

I’ve just set up my new doorbell and I live on a busy street. I’ve edited events to reduce the feed but doorbell (in devices) still records 20 seconds of video each time a person or car passes. How can I avoid this or set it so it doesn’t store all info to the cloud. 

Unfortunately the only ways to reduce recordings are to

1. reduce the motion sensitivity
  2. use activity zones

The first approach is the place to start - activity zones will supress recordings with no motion inside the zone, but they will not help with battery life.  That's because the video is streamed to the cloud, and the activity zone analysis is done there.

Use the motion detection test (walking around in front of the doorbell) to determine the lowest threshold that detects you reliably.  Then set the actualy threshold (in default mode settings) to something slightly above that value.