Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Ultra wired connection? (not WiFi)

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
JohnGordon
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a system with mixed Arlo Ultra and Arlo Ultra2 and with all the cases of WiFi jamming, wanted to see what are the options to get a wired connection to the cameras instead of just wireless?

Can the on-board micro-usb provide a port?  I am an engineer and can handle working inside the camera and I am sure others on the board could also, so please no worries about "how" it can be done from a user perspective as it is a better option than dumping the whole system on the used market and getting all new hardware.

Another option would be to have a way to install onboard storage (micro-sd/ USB) which would continue to record even if the wireless connection is lost, but that may be more involved.

Either way, please leave the "how" in terms of both hardware and coding to the users and just let us know "what" needs to be done?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@JohnGordon wrote:

I have a system with mixed Arlo Ultra and Arlo Ultra2 and with all the cases of WiFi jamming, wanted to see what are the options to get a wired connection to the cameras instead of just wireless?

There is no way to do this.  

I think it would be good for Arlo to offer a PoE wired camera, but they don't.

JohnGordon
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for the feedback, I didn't spend much time looking into the design, are you familiar with the internals?

It looks like it uses a CYW43012 WiFi, which has some wired coexistence ports, can we get the video stream thru there?  Or tap into the OA805 video processor output?

What's the micro-usb for?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

My ultras don't have a microusb port.  Just the magnetic connector (which only has 3 wires, so ok for charging, but not for data).

I haven't tried to reverse-engineer the cameras.  With enough effort you might be able to tap into the signal.  The wifi stream would be encrypted, so that would be one barrier.

While it could be an interesting project, it'd be faster and easier to just get a PoE camera from another vendor.

JohnGordon
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok, I have a over 10 cameras and a few hubs with 1TB cards, it would be easier to keep the system if someone already found a way to get out the data.

The micro-usb is internal, on the main board, most likely used during production testing, which for throughput purposes it would make sense to test the 4k video on that port instead of spending time to stream over its wifi, which can be tested faster, but it's just a guess because the PCB connections could be done much faster with spring probes, however those may affect the bandwidth and/ or inject noise/ errors in the production environment, and I was hopeful that we may be able to get access to the stream on the port.

Thanks!

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation